Questions on Storing Macros

SBF12345

Greetings,

Typically I access my macros via Tools --> Macro-->Macros. This brings up the Macros window and I can navigate to the macro I want to work on. I prefer to save my macros so that they are visible in the Macros window in the form "PERSONAL.XLS!Macro_Name". As I understand a public subroutine can be accesses in any workbook whereas a private subroutine may be accesses by only the workbook to which it has been saved.

I recently had macro show up in the Macros Window list of macros in the form "PERSONAL.XLS!Module178.Macro_Name" where the module was included in the name.

My question is why did this seem to randomly occur? What is the significance of the inclusion of the module name to which the macro was constructed, and how to remove the module178 element from the name? Also, is it possible to organize macros to a file folder system or something similar?

Any other pointers or help in the area of saving macros, editing macro storage, and the like is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
You'll get the module name when there are 2 or more macros with the same name.
Not sure what you mean about organising the macros

SBF12345

Not sure what you mean about organising the macros
Is it possible to include sub-folders within the PERSONAL Workbook to store macros?

Thanks!

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Not that I know off

Dryver14

My understanding is any macro you call from another workbook or module will have the reference to where it is living.

If you don't want to see the reference all the time then copy the macro from your personal folder into the module you are working on.

I personally keep several modules in my personal workbook that I have renamed by subject so I can easily find one if required

SBF12345

Thanks Dryver14,

Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a convenient way to store macros.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sachinmasurkar

This Week's Hot Topics