Refreshable Web Query Macro

lforster

Looking to write some VBA in excel to loop through refreshing a web query that has 2 variables I am trying to populate. After doing some digging online I found the following code which appears to have worked for some other users.

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables(1)
.Connection = "URL;" & NewURL
.Refresh
End With

Unfortunately when I try to use this code I am getting an error for the first line of the code saying "Run-Time Error '9': Subscript out of range"

I tried changing the name of my web query and then replacing QueryTables(1) with the name I chose and that gave me the same error.

Hoping someone can help troubleshoot this issue as I have searched on google for a half hour or so and haven't been able to figure it out.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Welcome to MrExcel forums.

That error means there isn't a web query on the active sheet. Create a manual web query with the macro recorder running and then you can modify the generated code as required.

Upvote 0
I use this code in a loop to query lots of urls, you don'#t need to manually create the query so you can run it anywhere:
Change the string "connectstring" to your url
You may need to change some of the parameters depend what you are looking at, e.g webtables="8" is unlikely to work for you
Code:
       ConnectString = fullstring

' On the Workspace worksheet, clear all existing query tables
        For Each QT In ActiveSheet.QueryTables
            QT.Delete
        Next QT

' Define a new Web Query
        Set QT = ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=ConnectString, Destination:=Range("A1"))
        With QT
            .Name = MyName
            .FieldNames = True
            .RowNumbers = False
            .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
            .PreserveFormatting = True
            .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
            .BackgroundQuery = False
            .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
            .SavePassword = False
            .SaveData = True
            .AdjustColumnWidth = True
            .RefreshPeriod = 0
            .WebSelectionType = xlSpecifiedTables
            .WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingAll
            .WebTables = "8"
            .WebPreFormattedTextToColumns = True
            .WebConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne = True
            .WebSingleBlockTextImport = False
            .WebDisableDateRecognition = False
            .WebDisableRedirections = False
        End With

' Refresh the Query
        QT.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to MrExcel forums.

That error means there isn't a web query on the active sheet. Create a manual web query with the macro recorder running and then you can modify the generated code as required.

I do have a web query in the active sheet, or at least I am going to the data tab and working through the "From Web" option. I have tried to do use the Macro Recorder to see how it generates the code but unfortunately it is not picking up a change in web address when I try that. It is actually referencing the name as the back half of the web URL I used to create the initial query but even if I try to use that reference in the code I posted in my initial comment I am getting the same error message. I can't say I am very familiar with web queries so it is possible that what I am calling a web query is different than what all of these posts I have been looking at are referencing.

Upvote 0
In trying this I changed the code to the below and got an error saying Application-defined or Object-Defined error. When going through the code line by line the error is happening on the Set QT Line but I am not sure if I am adjusting the code correctly. I also tried directly referencing the website after the Connection:= and that gave the same error.

Code:
       ConnectString = "http://originzip=11111&destzip=22222[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]       [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        ' On the Workspace worksheet, clear all existing query tables[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        For Each QT In ActiveSheet.QueryTables[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            QT.Delete[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        Next QT[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        ' Define a new Web Query[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        Set QT = ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=ConnectString, Destination:=Range("A1"))[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        With QT[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .Name = MyName[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .FieldNames = True[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .RowNumbers = False[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .FillAdjacentFormulas = False[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .PreserveFormatting = True[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .RefreshOnFileOpen = False[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .BackgroundQuery = False[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .SavePassword = False[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .SaveData = True[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .AdjustColumnWidth = True[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .RefreshPeriod = 0[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .WebSelectionType = xlSpecifiedTables[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingAll[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .WebPreFormattedTextToColumns = True[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .WebConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne = True[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .WebSingleBlockTextImport = False[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .WebDisableDateRecognition = False[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]            .WebDisableRedirections = False[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        End With[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        ' Refresh the Query[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]        QT.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False

Upvote 0
The Connection is missing the "URL;" for a web query:
Code:
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]Set QT = ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:="URL;" & ConnectString, Destination:=Range("A1"))[/FONT][/COLOR]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back