Relative cell address

Dontknow

I'm sure this is an old coconut, but it's driving me crazy!
How to copy a formula through many pages (tabs) of a workbook WITHOUT the formula referring continually to the first page or tab of the workbook.
Example:
='1'!N31 where N31 contains a simple formula =N30+L31 where N30 was a previous running total, L31 is a new charge. N31 become the new running total.
Copying the formula ='1'!N31 from page or tab 2 to page 3 (up to page 52) produces exactly the same formula, which I want to keep the same call reference but not the same page reference. I want the ='1' to update the ='2' and ='3' and ='4' and so on all the was through the pages referring the previous pages running total and not continually to the original page 1.
I do hope I've explained this well enough...
I've searched through the web and found a few things about copying formulas through rows and columns, but can't find how to copy through many pages or tabs...
Please keep answers solutions limited to formulas as macros and so on are a bit beyond me...

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
If you're in Sheet1 and the formula refers to Sheet1!N31 and you want to copy the formula onto Sheet2 so the formula refers to Sheet2!N31just remove the Sheet1 reference so its simply =N31
Then copy that formula throughtout the other sheets.

Upvote 0
If you're in Sheet1 and the formula refers to Sheet1!N31 and you want to copy the formula onto Sheet2 so the formula refers to Sheet2!N31just remove the Sheet1 reference so its simply =N31
Then copy that formula throughtout the other sheets.
Nearly... I need a formula in in sheet2 to read the running total in sheet1. Then a simple calculation in sheet2 will add the previous running total to the current payment to give the new running total. Then (the formula I want to copy through all the sheets) this formula in sheet3 will read the running total from sheet2.
Then a simple calculation in sheet3 will add the previous running total to the current payment to give the new running total - and so on like that. That's why I need the sheet number to update as it gets copied from sheet 2 through to sheet 53.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterzim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back