Return column header where cell value = "X"

davehat

I have two sheets, sheet1 and sheet2, each containing information about tickets. Both sheets contain a column containing ticket numbers.

The data in sheet2 is a subset of that in sheet1. It contains a series of columns that define the status of a ticket, such as used, refunded, exchanged.

The tickets are listed in column B and the status is defined in the column header (C1:M1) like so:

Code:
-------------------------------------------------
|Ca |Frm/SerNo |VK|VX|EX|ER|RF|CR|TR|CX|NR|RR|AC|
|000|nnnnnnnnn1|X |  |  |X |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
|000|nnnnnnnnn2|X |  |  |X |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
|000|nnnnnnnnn3|X |  |  |  |X |  |  |  |  |  |  |
|000|nnnnnnnnn4|X |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |X |
|000|nnnnnnnnn5|X |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
|000|nnnnnnnnn6|X |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |X |

In sheet1, I have a larger group of tickets with a variety of information. I need to add a column to this sheet that will return the status of the ticket as defined in sheet2.

Additionally, if a ticket on sheet1 is not present in sheet2, I need to return the status "UN". Also, if a ticket is present on sheet2, but there is no "X" in any column, I needs to return the value "OP".

Presently, I am doing this across two rather messy formulae:

1. Write the status to a cell in a new column in sheet 2 (N)

{=IF(ISNA(INDEX('sheet2'!$D$1:$M$1,MATCH(TRUE,'sheet2!D2:M2="X ",0))),"OP",INDEX('sheet2'!$D$1:$M$1,MATCH(TRUE,'sheet2'!D2:M2="X ",0)))}

2. Do a vlookup on to this value from sheet 1

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(K2,'sheet2'!$B$2:$N$145,13,FALSE)),"UN",(VLOOKUP(K2,'sheet2'!$B$2:$N$145,13,FALSE)))

I am totally stumped as to how to do this in a single formula (or even if it is worth putting it in one)...

I have no idea whether the next two questions have mutually exclusive answers but it boils down to this:

A) Can any one suggest a more elegant solution?

B) Does any one know if it would be possible to combine these formulae?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hello,

Does this get you close?

=LOOKUP(2,1/($A2:$K2<>""),INDEX($A$1:$K$1,1,COLUMN($A2:$K2)))

It should return the value in the first row for the last column used. Adjust ranges to suit.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Does this get you close?

=LOOKUP(2,1/($A2:$K2<>""),INDEX($A$1:$K$1,1,COLUMN($A2:$K2)))

It should return the value in the first row for the last column used. Adjust ranges to suit.

It might, but I am a bit confused about what ranges to add where as my formula needs to reference two sheets...

For arguements sake, let say that the ticket number is in column A in sheet1. I need to return the status in sheet2 into column B of sheet1.

Simplifying my current formula (in column N of sheet 2) gives:

INDEX('sheet2'!$D$1:$M$1,MATCH(TRUE,'sheet2'!D2:M2="X ",0))

The ISNA wrap on the formula in my original post is there to output "OP"

then the formula in column B of sheet 1 would be:

VLOOKUP(A2,'sheet2'!$B$2:$N$145,13,FALSE)

The ISNA wrap on this formula in my original post is there to output "UN"

(I should also point out that I am only looking at the columns from D onwards in sheet 2 as column C always has an "X")

Upvote 0
OK, take 2:

=IF(AND(ISNA(LOOKUP(2,1/(Sheet2!$C6:$M6="X"),INDEX(Sheet2!$C$1:$M$1,1,COLUMN(Sheet2!$A$1:$M$1)))),ISNA(MATCH(A6,Sheet2!$B$2:$B$7,0))),"OP",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A6,Sheet2!$B$2:$B$7,0)),"UN",LOOKUP(2,1/(Sheet2!$C6:$M6="X"),INDEX(Sheet2!$C$1:$M$1,1,COLUMN(Sheet2!$A$1:$M$1)))))

If there isn't a "X" value in sheet2 and there isn't a ticket#, the cell returns "OP". If there is a "X" value, but no ticket#, the formula returns "UN". If there is a ticket # and there an an "X" value, the formula returns the header of the "X" value.

I think that's right. What do you think? This should replace both formulas. So, it would ultimately go where your VLOOKUP formula is now.

You'll need to extend / modify the Sheet2!$B$2:$B$7 bit in the MATCH formulas to match your sheet2 range. Otherwise, you should be able to put the formula in the 1st ticket row on Sheet1 and copy down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back