Returning value above searched row

pharside

I'm tryin to return a value above the searched row. I've tried a couple options and here is what I have tried:

=HLOOKUP(LEFT(Y4, 4), CHOOSE({1;2},B3:M3,B1:M1), 2, FALSE)

=INDEX(A1:M3,MATCH(LEFT(Y5,4),A1:M3,0),MATCH(LEFT(Y5,4),A1:M3,0))

=VLOOKUP("AISLE", A1:M3, MATCH(LEFT(Y6, 4), A1:M3, 0), FALSE)

I don't have any experience with index, choose, or match as you can likely tell. I am trying to search row 3 for the left 4 of the value in Y4,Y5, and Y6 and then return the content of the cell 2 rows above (column headers).

Any help here would be appreciated.

well, right now all of them but that changes depending on who is assigned to what aisle. Often, there is more than one aisle assigned to one person.

Again, B3:M3 all have VALUE() functions in them and your solution works if I manually type in the B3:M3 cells the employee ID number (such as 0050), so I think maybe if I can change the VALUE() function to something else your solution would work. I tried using a TEXT() function, but still didn't work.

Ok, I had an idea to change the LEFT() function to VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)) and that worked!

Now, I have a new challenge. So your solution was part of a bigger function that I was trying to build. I have many sets of rows each with their own searched row like B3:M3. My plan was to use the solution you came up with and then use an IFERROR to search the next set of rows. Unfortunately, my function is only returning a correct value when the search criteria matches the first (farthest left) value. Here is my function now:

=LEFT(IF(VALUE(LEFT(Y4,4))>0, IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B3:M3,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B3:M3,0)),-2,0), IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B9:M9,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B9:M9,0)),-2,0), IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B15:M15,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B15:M15,0)),-2,0), IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B21:M21,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B21:M21,0)),-2,0), IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B27:M27,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B27:M27,0)),-2,0), IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B33:M33,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B33:M33,0)),-2,0), IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B39:M39,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B39:M39,0)),-2,0), IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B45:M45,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B45:M45,0)),-2,0), IFERROR(OFFSET(INDEX(B51:M51,MATCH(VALUE(LEFT(Y4, 4)),B51:M51,0)),-2,0), "?"))))))))), ""), 1)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Ok, I just took a break from this for a couple hours and then came back to realize that I had forgotten to include the "$" in my row locations so when I copied the function down my column, it messed up. Thank you again for all your help, you really helped me work through this one!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back