Run-Time error '9' Subscript out of range only when I launch excel

Vurog

Hey,

So I've tried searching everywhere for a solution to this and can't manage to find anything.

I work at a medium sized company and one of our end users gets this error when he launches excel (doesn't matter which workbook he tried to open), the "continue" and "debug" icons are greyed out.

After pressing "End" everything works just normally.

We're not using any macros/scripts or nothing.

any help and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Check the startup folder, I suspect that xl is loading a macro enabled workbook, which has a workbook open event

Upvote 0
I work at a medium sized company and one of our end users gets this error when he launches excel (doesn't matter which workbook he tried to open), the "continue" and "debug" icons are greyed out.

After pressing "End" everything works just normally.

We're not using any macros/scripts or nothing.
If this is happening to one employee only, then my guess is that the employee has a Personal workbook (personal.xlsb) attached to his copy of Excel and it has a event code procedure that is running when the workbook is opened. I don't use a Personal workbook myself, but I believe it can do that. The error he is getting means one of the functions or subroutines being called from the event procedure is missing an argument. Obviously, if I am right, we cannot help any more than this, but hopefully that will narrow down your search for the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like there is a password-protected addin or workbook that is loading with Excel. Try disabling all add-ins and check the XLSTART folder to see if that has anything in it (Location should be C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart).

You can also check the VBA Editor (Alt+F11) and check the Projects pane to see if there are any workbooks.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Hey!

Thanks a bunch! Just checked the XLStart folder and there was indeed a password-protected file.
Deleting that solved the issue, not seeing the error anymore!

Once again, Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey!

Thanks a bunch! Just checked the XLStart folder and there was indeed a password-protected file.
Deleting that solved the issue, not seeing the error anymore!

Once again, Thanks!

Happy we were able to help out - have a good weekend!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wingedshoes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back