Running Total Distinct Count

Craigc3814

Board Regular
I have a table I am working with that has project names that are listed multiple times (along with a bunch of other data that should not be relevant here). This is in Power Query

What I want to do is a running total of how many times the project name appears then start the count over when a new project name appears. End result would look like below.

Project A 1
Project A 2
Project A 3
Project B 1
Project B 2
Project C 1

When it groups, the multiple instances are reduced to 1 each, but the grouped tables are then expanded which should get you back to where you were.

Can you post the data in a table here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
create blank Query and replace code with:
Code:
[SIZE=1](MyTable as table) as table =>
let
    Source = Table.Buffer(MyTable),
    TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(Source, "RunningTotCountOver", each null, type number)),
    Cumulative = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(Source[Count],{0},(Cumulative,Count) => Cumulative & {List.Last(Cumulative) + Count})),
    AddedRunningTotCountOver = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source)&{Cumulative},TableType)
in
    AddedRunningTotCountOver[/SIZE]
rename Query1 to fnRunningTotCountOver

replace code for your table with:
Code:
[SIZE=1]let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="[COLOR="#FF0000"]Table3[/COLOR]"]}[Content],
    Index = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Index", 1, 1),
    Group = Table.Group(Index, {"Projects", "Index"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}}),
    RC = Table.RemoveColumns(Group,{"Index"}),
    TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(RC, "RunningTotCountOver", each null, type number)),
    Group2 = Table.Group(RC, {"Projects"}, {{"AllData", fnRunningTotCountOver, TableType}}),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Group2, "AllData", {"RunningTotCountOver"}, {"RunningTotCountOver"})
in
    Expand[/SIZE]

change table name suitably

I did it with longer names and with Index but theBardd way is shorter :)

edit:
as I said from the begining: adapt not copy/paste

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When it groups, the multiple instances are reduced to 1 each, but the grouped tables are then expanded which should get you back to where you were.

Can you post the data in a table here?

Just ran out to lunch then have a meeting. I cannot post the actual data as it is government projects. I can post the code as soon as I get back this afternoon. Adding mockup data would be easy as there are not many columns.

Thanks in advance for all of your help

Upvote 0
theBardd's small adaptation of Marcel's way :) :)

exactly the same (longer)
rotfl2.gif

Upvote 0
Here is my current code (minus what you added). Clearly I am doing more than what I shared with you and I am sure that is where the issue lies.

I basically start with an input table for people that have almost 0 Excel experience to update. It only has these columns
Budget IDProject NameRenamedDivision/DepartmentProject ManagerSpending GeometryStatusEst. Start DateEst. End Date

<tbody>
</tbody>

Funny you mentioned Marcel because some of his code is in here. What I am trying to do is format this data so that I can get it into a pivot table and show spend by month for the next 5 or so years (I can handle that, getting the format is my problem).

I used a portion of Marcel's code to say if a project is 3 months long create one line for each month (really just months remaining).

So the project name (project A as we have been referencing has 3 months remaining (April, May, & June).

I created the 3 lines in hopes that I could then get a count of each line and add months based on the count (Hopefully that makes sense). So for Project A line 2 I was going to add 2 months to our current month and make that the budget line for May, for line 3 I was going to add 3 months and make that our budget line for June.

As mentioned I got your code to run but it groups everything to 1 line and does not ungroup it back. 100% positive it is user error.

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table3"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Budget ID", type any}, {"Project Name", type text}, {"Renamed", type text}, {"Division/Department", type text}, {"Project Manager", type text}, {"Spending Geometry", type text}, {"Status", type text}, {"Est. Start Date", type date}, {"Est. End Date", type date}}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Spending Geometry] = "Linear") and ([Status] = "Deferred" or [Status] = "Future" or [Status] = "In Progress")),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Est. Start Date", Order.Ascending}}),
#"Months Between" = Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Duration", each ([Est. End Date]-[Est. Start Date])/30.5),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Months Between",{{"Duration", Int64.Type}}),
#"Todays Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Today's Date", each DateTime.LocalNow()),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Todays Date",{{"Today's Date", type date}}),
#"Months Remaining" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Months Remaining", each ([Est. End Date]-[#"Today's Date"])/30.5),
#"Changed Type3" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Months Remaining",{{"Months Remaining", Int64.Type}}),
#"Percentage Complete" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type3", "Percentage Complete", each 1-([Months Remaining]/[Duration])),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Percentage Complete", "Percent Complete", each if[Percentage Complete]<0 then 0 else [Percentage Complete]),
#"Changed Type4" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Percent Complete", Percentage.Type}}),
#"Rounded Off" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type4",{{"Percent Complete", each Number.Round(_, 2), Percentage.Type}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Rounded Off",{"Percentage Complete"}),
#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Columns", each [Months Remaining] > 0),
#"Repeated" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Filtered Rows1", {"Months Remaining", each List.Numbers(_,_,0), type list}),
#"Expanded" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Repeated, "Months Remaining")
in
Expanded

Upvote 0
You don't make it easy showing the headings but no data, but this seems to work fine as far as I can see

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="tblProjects"]}[Content],
    allColumns.Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Budget ID", type any}, {"Project Name", type text}, {"Renamed", type text}, {"Division/Department", type text}, {"Project Manager", type text}, {"Spending Geometry", type text}, {"Status", type text}, {"Est. Start Date", type date}, {"Est. End Date", type date}}),
    activeProjects.Filter = Table.SelectRows(allColumns.Type, each ([Spending Geometry] = "Linear") and ([Status] = "Deferred" or [Status] = "Future" or [Status] = "In Progress")),
    startDate.Sort = Table.Sort(activeProjects.Filter,{{"Est. Start Date", Order.Ascending}}),
    monthsDuration.Add = Table.AddColumn(startDate.Sort, "Duration", each ([Est. End Date]-[Est. Start Date])/30.5),
    duration.Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(monthsDuration.Add,{{"Duration", Int64.Type}}),
    today.Add = Table.AddColumn(duration.Type, "Today's Date", each DateTime.LocalNow()),
    today.Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(today.Add,{{"Today's Date", type date}}),
    monthsLeft.Add = Table.AddColumn(today.Type, "Months Remaining", each ([Est. End Date]-[#"Today's Date"])/30.5),
    monthsLeft.Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(monthsLeft.Add,{{"Months Remaining", Int64.Type}}),
    pctCPt.Add = Table.AddColumn(monthsLeft.Type, "Percentage Complete", each if 1-([Months Remaining]/[Duration]) < 0 then 0 else 1-([Months Remaining]/[Duration])),
    pctCpt.Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(pctCPt.Add,{{"Percentage Complete", Percentage.Type}}),
    pctCpt.Roundoff = Table.TransformColumns(pctCpt.Type,{{"Percentage Complete", each Number.Round(_, 2), Percentage.Type}}),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(pctCpt.Roundoff, each [Months Remaining] > 0),
    monthsLeft.List = Table.TransformColumns(#"Filtered Rows1", {"Months Remaining", each List.Numbers(_,_,0), type list}),
    monthsLeft.ListExpand = Table.ExpandListColumn(monthsLeft.List, "Months Remaining"),
/* my bit added here ------------------------------- */
    countColumnAdd = Table.AddColumn(monthsLeft.ListExpand, "Instance", each 1),
    TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(countColumnAdd, "Running Count", each null, type number)),
    fnGrouping = (MyTable as table) as table =>
    let
        Source = Table.Buffer(MyTable),
        TableType = Value.Type(Table.AddColumn(Source, "Running Count", each null, type number)),
        Cumulative = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(Source[Instance],{0},(cumulative,instance) => cumulative & {List.Last(cumulative) + instance})),
        RunningCount = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(Source)&{Cumulative},TableType)
    in
    RunningCount,
    rowsGrouped = Table.Group(countColumnAdd, {"Project Name"}, {{"AllData", fnGrouping, TableType}}),
    groupsExpanded = Table.ExpandTableColumn(rowsGrouped, "AllData", {"Budget ID", "Project Nam", "Renamed", "Division/Department", "Project Manager", "Spending Geometry", "Status", "Est. Start Date", "Est. End Date", "Running Count"},{"Budget ID", "Project Nam", "Renamed", "Division/Department", "Project Manager", "Spending Geometry", "Status", "Est. Start Date", "Est. End Date", "Running Count"}
),
    projectOrder.Sort = Table.Sort(groupsExpanded,{{"Project Name", Order.Ascending}})
in
    projectOrder.Sort

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I apologize, if I put the project names in and somehow a contractor got a hold of the data and was able to review upcoming projects prior to everyone else learning of them I would get DESTROYED. This seems to work nearly perfect for whatever reason it adds everything back in that I filter out prior to your section of the code. If I move your section up in the code then do the filters I assume it fixes that issue.

I cannot thank you enough!! I consider myself very advanced in UI functions and simple formulas in M. I become awful once it gets to custom coding but things like this help me learn so much.

Upvote 0
I apologize, if I put the project names in and somehow a contractor got a hold of the data and was able to review upcoming projects prior to everyone else learning of them I would get DESTROYED.
You could provide dummy data, enough to show a typical situation.
This seems to work nearly perfect for whatever reason it adds everything back in that I filter out prior to your section of the code. If I move your section up in the code then do the filters I assume it fixes that issue.
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, the running count will be done on unfiltered data, so you could lose some of the sequence when you then filter them. Also, I cannot see what you mean, the data looks fine to me in the example I created.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back