Sheet Name in Formula

Galto

Hi,

I saw a similar thread to this earlier, but my situation is not quite the same...

I keep track of my students' marks on separate worksheets... one per student... and each sheet is named with the students' first names. I also have a summary sheet that gives me an "at-a-glance" view of the class' marks.

Right now, I grab the results of three items per sheet with a simple reference formula.

e.g. on the summary sheet I might have a column of formulas that look like this:
=Joe!$C$14
=Suzy!$C$14
=Bud!$C$14

... with their full names in a corresponding column to the left. I would like to add about 4 or 5 more columns (maybe more) to the sheet and also include some more complex formulas that involve references to those same sheet names.

I have one student's row completed and the formulas work just fine. But I would like to have a way to duplicate that row for about 300 other students without needing to manually adjust each formula to change the sheet name. Even though it would be slightly quicker, I could use the "Replace" command on each row of the summary sheet to replace "Joe" with "Suzy", etc... but that's still going to take a while.

Can I build a sheetname reference into a formula that would allow me to "fill" the columns by using the fill handle - or copy-paste?

I recognize that when I set this up once, I can use it with other classes and students and I could just change individual sheet names.

Happy to clarify the question if this isn't quite clear.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Do some experimenting with the INDIRECT function. I use this to retrieve data from other sheets by having the sheet name in a cell, and building the reference as a string, and pass that to INDIRECT like this:
Code:
=INDIRECT(sheetref&"!$C$14")

Upvote 0
I think you'll need to use some VBA code. You could write a single procedure to populate the summary sheet, or add a user-defined function to return a sheet name, and then use the Indirect function to grab values from other worksheets.

Here is some possible code to get you started:

Code:
Sub PopulateSummarySheet()
    Dim sh As Worksheet
    Dim row_offset As Integer

row_offset = 0
    For Each sh In Sheets
        If sh.Name <> "Summary" Then
            Range("Summary!A1").offset(row_offset).Value = sh.Name
            Range("Summary!A1").offset(row_offset, 1).Value = sh.Range("A1")
            row_offset = row_offset + 1
        End If
    Next sh

End Sub

Upvote 0
Do some experimenting with the INDIRECT function. I use this to retrieve data from other sheets by having the sheet name in a cell, and building the reference as a string, and pass that to INDIRECT like this:
Code:
=INDIRECT(sheetref&"!$C$14")

GlennUK.... That solved it! The other thread I had found had mentioned the INDIRECT function but I wasn't clear on how it worked. The student names on my summary sheet were actually in a "Last, First" format and my sheet names referred ONLY to their first names, but a quick formula that involved at SEARCH, LEN, and RIGHT fixed that hiccup.

wprager I should have qualified my question by mentioning I waned to avoid using VBA code. I appreciate your response all the same!

Cheers all!

Todd

Upvote 0
Once again, the Mr. Excel forum members have saved my bacon!

What an amazing resource this is! Unbelievable!

Todd

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accountant606

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back