Should be simple, but I'm stuck... Please help!

mmccabe

I'm trying to create a HYPERLINK formula that references cell A1, on a different sheet, within the same workbook.

If my workbook was always named "Book1.xls," I could simply use the following formula:

=HYPERLINK("[Book1.xls]Sheet2!A1","Next Page"),"")

Unfortunately, the workbook I am working with gets renamed constantly (for different users, versions, dates, etc), so a static reference to "[Book1.xls]" won't work.

Is there any way to reference the 'Active Workbook' within the formula, so that the hyperlinks will work after the file has been renamed?

With a macro, this would be straight forward, but I'm trying to avoid VBA for this particular project. I just realized that I have no idea how to reference the active workbook within a formula. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Mike

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
If the sheet is in the same book, you don't need to specify the book...

You can just use

=HYPERLINK(Sheet2!A1,"Next Page")

Upvote 0
Jonmo1,

Thanks for the reply... I tried your suggested approach initially, but for some reason, the link doesn't take me anywhere. Excel recognizes the formula as a hyperlink, but when I click on "Next Page," nothing at all happens. There is no error message and I am not directed anywhere.

When I include the [Book1.xls] reference, the hyperlink works as expected, but like I mentioned, the static reference won't work if/ when the book is renamed.
Any other ideas?

Mike

Upvote 0
By the way, I just tried removing the [Book1.xls] from the working formula, while keeping the surrounding quotes, like this:

=HYPERLINK("Sheet2!A1","Next Page"),"")

Excel accepted the formula, but when I attempted to follow the link, I received the following message: "Cannot open the specified file."

Without the quotes (& without [Book1.xls]), I did not get this error message, but the link didn't take me anywhere.

Mike

Upvote 0
Just to confirm, are you going to then try to copy the formula to other cells and have the linked reference adjust?

Otherwise I would just say to right click on the cell and set the hyperlink that way. I don't think you can use the formula without the filename reference

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back