bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I know this is an Excel forum but I don't where else to turn. My computer is running rather slow, does anyone know of any free software that is virus free that will help speed up my computer performance. My excel files are taking forever to load and I don't have any programs open other than one instance of Excel.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Michael

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Is it just excel that is slow, or the system in general ?

Upvote 0
The entire system is slow though I notice it more when I'm in Excel. It does take a couple of minutes for it to open entirely - maybe I have too many programs loaded? I was noticing that I have a lot of Microsoft programs loaded - a number of AQL ones. I remember when I brought in PowerPivot as an addin in I had to go to MSFT and download some sort of MS SQL application.

I did a check and it seems I have 4G of file history I could delete from my system (was running a file clean up program and one of these items came up through it wasn't checked). What does the file history do>

Upvote 0
Unfortunately your question generates more questions than answers with regards to what might be happening.

I agree with Michael M on defragging (except if you have an SSD) and on the use of CCleaner- a great program. Something else to check is that even though you may have only one program open, how many processes are running in the background. You should check the Task Manager and see if there is anything that is chewing up either memory or CPU usage. Check to see what processes are starting when you boot and minimize those to only what you absolutely must have running (AV for example).

Upvote 0
thank you both for the tips. I defrag weekly and I have updated my antivirus. I was trying to download CC cleaner a couple of days ago but my computer crashed. I got an error message their was a virus. Maybe I was downloading a bogus cc cleaner. anyway, I'll use your link. Thank you for the info.

Michael

Upvote 0
As iGold has mentioned check your Task manager.....but also try turning off the antivirus software and see how much improvement you get !!

Upvote 0
Great idea. I looked at the Task Master and only saw Excel and Chrome running. But, like you said, it might be running in the background.

Upvote 0
The only other obvious thing is to load up on more RAM if your machine has room for expansion...

Upvote 0
I thought of tht as well. I have 6G of RAM but maybe I need 8 GB. It's a dell computer and I don't think it can be reconfigured though I will contact them to find out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BakerSteve

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back