SMALL Formula not Working with Index and Match

marvin jones

Board Regular
Hi All,

I have the formula below which looks at the smallest 3 values in a pivot table (column CT) and returns with the employee name (column CS)

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX('Bradford - Data'!$CS:$CS,MATCH(SMALL('Bradford - Data'!$CT:$CT,1),'Bradford - Data'!$CT:$CT,0))),"TBC",(INDEX('Bradford - Data'!$CS:$CS,MATCH(SMALL('Bradford - Data'!$CT:$CT,1),'Bradford - Data'!$CT:$CT,0))))

However, this formula returns with the same name 3 times. I don't have this issue when applying the LARGE formula.

Is this to do with there being a series of no values in the pivot column (due to the employee not working)?

What is an alternative formula to get the smallest values?

Thanks,

Hi Aladin,

It has returned with the same name twice for the 1st and 2nd smallest values. This name didn't work in April (April is the CT column) and so has no value in the pivot. Does the formula believe a no value is the lowest value?

The 3rd name has a high value, so not sure why the formula has returned this person.

My formula is in cell F213 when referencing the name with the 3rd highest value. I have got this correct?

=IF(ROWS(F$213:F213)>COUNTIFS('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$740,"<="&SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$740,MIN(3,COUNT('Bradford -
Data'!CT$6:CT$740)))),"",INDEX('Bradford - Data'!$CS$6:$CS$740,SMALL(IF('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$740=SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$740,ROWS(F$213:F213)),ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6:CS$740)-ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6)+1),SUM(IF(SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$740,ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS8:CS8)-ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6)+1)=SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$740,ROWS(F213:F$213)),1)))))

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Apologies - i have now used CSE for the formula and it has returned the same person 3 times - the person who didn't work that month. I think the formula thinks a no value is the lowest value and so has returned this.

Upvote 0
Apologies - i have now used CSE for the formula and it has returned the same person 3 times - the person who didn't work that month. I think the formula thinks a no value is the lowest value and so has returned this.

What does the following return?

=COUNT('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$740)

Upvote 0

So, we have true numbers then. The formula should work as intended.

Book1
CSCT
6jon5
7han3
8lon4
9dan3
10can2
11ben1
12ron4
Bradford - Data

Book1
A
2ben
3can
4han
5han
Sheet1

In A2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IF(ROWS(A$2:A2)>COUNTIFS('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$12,"<="&SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$12,MIN(3,COUNT('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$12)))),"",INDEX('Bradford - Data'!$CS$6:$CS$12,SMALL(IF('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$12=SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$12,ROWS(A$2:A2)),ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6:CS$12)-ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6)+1),SUM(IF(SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$12,ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS6:CS6)-ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6)+1)=SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$12,ROWS(A$2:A2)),1)))))

Upvote 0
My table is;

CS6 CT6

Name 1 no value

Name 2 no value

Name 3 57.42%

Name 4 no value

Name 5 53.00%

Name 6 no value

Name 7 00.00%

If i enter my old formula of =IF(ISERROR(INDEX('Bradford - Data'!$CS:$CS,MATCH(SMALL('Bradford - Data'!$CT:$CT,3),'Bradford - Data'!$CT:$CT,0))),"TBC",(INDEX('Bradford - Data'!$CS:$CS,MATCH(SMALL('Bradford - Data'!$CT:$CT,3),'Bradford - Data'!$CT:$CT,0)))) i still get a name 3 times, just a different one and
this name has a value of 0.00%.

Is the formula having trouble distinguishing between no values and 0.00%?

Confusing!

Upvote 0
Yes please.

It's all a bit odd as i replicated your table all in a single worksheet and it worked just fine.

I don't know whether linking it to another tab is the issue.

Upvote 0
Yes please.

It's all a bit odd as i replicated your table all in a single worksheet and it worked just fine.

I don't know whether linking it to another tab is the issue.

There was a small error in the formula (one $ sign was missing). I'll post the edited formula in what follows.

Book1
CSCTCU
6jon5
7han3
8lon457.42%
9dan3
10can2
11ben153
12ron4
13daphne0.00%
Bradford - Data

Book1
AB
2bendaphne
3canlon
4hanben
5dan
Sheet1

In A2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, copy across to B2, and down:

=IF(ROWS(A$2:A2)>COUNTIFS('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$20,"<="&SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$20,MIN(3,COUNT('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$20)))),"",INDEX('Bradford - Data'!$CS$6:$CS$20,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$20),IF('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$20=SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$20,ROWS(A$2:A2)),ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6:CS$20)-ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6)+1)),SUM(IF(SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$20,ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6:CS6)-ROW('Bradford - Data'!CS$6)+1)=SMALL('Bradford - Data'!CT$6:CT$20,ROWS(A$2:A2)),1)))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back