Smallest value greater than zero across multiple cells

dsmith1088

Hi all

I'm trying to sum the smallest value greater than zero across multiple (scattered/random) cells. I know how to do this if the cells were in straightforward row or column range, but not sure what the best way is across random cells. Any ideas?

Many thanks

True Aladin...........According to post #4 we need to look each cell one by one. But would it not be appropriate to make this process shorter with Name Range for scattered cells?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
An interesting thought Anand. I tested this and if I declare a non-contiguous range as a Named Range then I can use that in a simple formula like MIN, but as soon as I use CSE I get an error......

Upvote 0
True Aladin...........According to post #4 we need to look each cell one by one. But would it not be appropriate to make this process shorter with Name Range for scattered cells?

The question is: What is the lowest (smallest) greater than zero value among the values, say, a1, f7, j2, and K6 house?

Upvote 0
An interesting thought Anand. I tested this and if I declare a non-contiguous range as a Named Range then I can use that in a simple formula like MIN, but as soon as I use CSE I get an error......

An error was not supposed to appear there. I have retested without CSE and met #VALUE while got desired output with CSE. (As we can refer attached Image in Post 9).
Also tried dual ways to create Name Range, a) Selected entire portion by mouse from my starting point to last position of my Data and Then Simply captured this area under Name Box (Just Left to Formula Bar).
b) From Ribbon Bar Under Formulas>Name Manger>New, filled out all the relevant fields and finally Ok.
And the result using these methods is same to fetch the output.

Upvote 0
The question is: What is the lowest (smallest) greater than zero value among the values, say, a1, f7, j2, and K6 house?

Agreed.........Probably I'm missing something among of these listed out,
1) Considering that we need to search next biggest number after Zero among the values- A1, F7, J2, K6
2) The mentioned formula should work IF I use a Range A1:K7 instead writing every reference for every time.
3) OR Stepping next, I can make this process much easier if I quote this Range A1:K7 by defining a Name Range, So that I can get rid from giving selection.

I'm in favor to follow last two steps to achieve first one within less amount of effort. I would like to welcome your words about my missing point.

Upvote 0
Agreed.........Probably I'm missing something among of these listed out,
1) Considering that we need to search next biggest number after Zero among the values- A1, F7, J2, K6
2) The mentioned formula should work IF I use a Range A1:K7 instead writing every reference for every time.
3) OR Stepping next, I can make this process much easier if I quote this Range A1:K7 by defining a Name Range, So that I can get rid from giving selection.

I'm in favor to follow last two steps to achieve first one within less amount of effort. I would like to welcome your words about my missing point.

Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
H​
I​
J​
K​
1​
2​
3​
15​
4​
8​
4​
5​
6​
7​

<tbody>
</tbody>

The question that the OP has in mind is the following:

What is the lowest value greater than zero given the set of values in A1, F7, J2, and K6? The answer is 30.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
H​
I​
J​
K​
1​
2​
3​
15​
4​
8​
4​
5​
6​
7​

<tbody>
</tbody>

The question that the OP has in mind is the following:

What is the lowest value greater than zero given the set of values in A1, F7, J2, and K6? The answer is 30.

It's true that sample of data helps a lot to understand requirement. I thought that data is kept within a combined range.

Thanks a bunch Aladin for making picture more visible. Hope you didn't mind anything so far. :)

@ dsmith1088 - If your sample data looks like this then Apologies for not getting your point in first go.

So you may go with Aladin's solution if cells are scattered in this way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An error was not supposed to appear there. I have retested without CSE and met #VALUE while got desired output with CSE. (As we can refer attached Image in Post 9).
Also tried dual ways to create Name Range, a) Selected entire portion by mouse from my starting point to last position of my Data and Then Simply captured this area under Name Box (Just Left to Formula Bar).
b) From Ribbon Bar Under Formulas>Name Manger>New, filled out all the relevant fields and finally Ok.
And the result using these methods is same to fetch the output.
Hello Anand
I saw that image from earlier thanks, that's why I tried a named range with non-contiguous cells i.e. just t A1, F7, J2, K6 in the named range. CSE formula gives an error.
Regards
Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back