Sorting a list automatically by changing details...?

muffingg

Hi people, I have just recently managed to create a quiet sensible football league table where the table gets generated automatically by entering the results of the matches between the teams.

What I need is whether it is possible to sort the table automatically after filling in some results of matches. There are 4 teams and in the table there are all the details of points, goals for,... . So I want to sort it by the points, but without having to do this every time I update the results.

IS THERE A WAY OF SORTING A TABLE AUTOMATICALLY ACCORDING TO A NUMBER IF YOU CHANGE THE CONTENTS/RELATED FIELDS?

I would be thankful if anybody could help me with this.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
You should read up on Worksheet_Change macros. These go in the SHEET module and watch activity on specific sheets/cells/ranges in real time and active the macro automatically when a change is made in that particular cell/range.

But tread carefully. Whilst updating data in a sheet and changing the value in ONE column, to have that dataset resort while I'm typing ... I would find that very disconcerting. But it can work, and work well. Just really think about whether you want the cell you were just typing in to suddenly jump to some other part of the sheet. I'd find that weird.

Perhaps just an "update" button on the sheet you can click anytime to resort the data?

Upvote 0
hi are we talking UK football, as I have some examples where you have a table and enter the results in a columns and the table updates automatically using points and goal diff etc etc

it uses a hidden work table to do the calculations and rankings of the teams and the table you see uses INDEX and MATCH to pull the data in sorted order as you change the results

As for UK football I only asked this as I understand the league table more than the alternative north american versions

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back