Sorting blank data out of a list

Virgule

Hello,

First, let me say that I know a lot of threads have been done on this subject. I have been reviewing about 20 of them for the past two days and haven't found a proper solution to my problem. Well I found something very close but couldn't manage to make the formula work for my case or understand it well enough to write my own. I really need your wisdom here.

I have a list of components interlaced with blank cells. I wanted this list to be the source of a drop down list but since I have a lot of blank data, the drop down list would have been painful to use. So from what I read, the best way of doing it would be to sort out the blank data out off the source first.

I could do this with a simple filter on my column and unchecking "blanks". The problem with that is that this needs to be redone in order to refresh. I want the blank free list to update itself as soon as another component is entered. Same problem goes with sorting (AZ icon) the column to get blanks at the end.

I would need the column besides my blank filled list to be a compact form of the list; blank free. I would really like a non VBA solution as I am a TOTAL NOOB with VBA. However, I always end up against the same wall : I can't loop with formulas.

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

N.B. : For example excel file, follow link to same thread on another forum
http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/796583-sorting-blank-data-out-of-a-list.html

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
there is a sort formula you can use to sort your data without doing it manually. You can also do a counter to enumerate your non-blank data...which will lead to composing a solid list without blank spaces. Both require naming the range to make it dynamic. Would you like a sample? Or does this make sense to you?

Upvote 0
I don't want the blanks to be in the list, weither they are "named" otherwise or not. As for the SORT formula, I have excel 2010 in french and I can't find any translation for SORT in french. Seems the SORT function doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back