dvstdvst

I am doing a research project on the scriptures that involves me listing certain verses with their chapter numbers. My idea is to make one column where each verse and chapter I am referencing will be in this format ---> For example: chapter 5 verse 2 = 5.2. I formatted all cells in my column as 'numbers' and then under the ribbon tab 'data' I pressed sort A-Z, but it doesn't want to numerically from smallest to greatest organize the numbers (and I need to, since all 1000 something verses are not in the slightest bit arranged that way). I was thinking about separating it into two separate columns - a chapter column and a neighboring verse column, but then that would mean that when I sort it'll just put all the 5 verses together without dragging the ones with the same chapter number along. Anybody know what I could do to make it sort out from smallest chapter and verse number to largest chapter and verse number? (For example: from 1.1. to 100.14.)

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

My idea is to make one column where each verse and chapter I am referencing will be in this format ---> For example: chapter 5 verse 2 = 5.2.
How are you generating the numbers for this column?

More explanation and sample data might help clarify.

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to the MrExcel Message Board.

If it were me I would have separate columns for chapters and verses. You can then sort on both columns to get things into order using a Custom sort.

An option would be to join the numbers together and pad them out with zeros. For instance if you never needed more than 99 chapters and verses you could start from CH1 v 1 with 01.01 then go through 01.02, 01.03 etc. You could use the format 00.00 to achieve that or you could enter the data as text.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back