Sorting with Conditional Formatting - reverts to Absolute

Solon Aquila

I'm using Excel to keep track of various projects (one row per project).
Some of the projects have 3 or 4 things to do, so I chose open cells a few columns over and used conditional formatting to have them turn green when I type "X" in them. The first column for that row has the same conditional formatting (If cell value is X, turn green) and they work fine.

I tried sorting and found out that the conditional formatting isn't following the data. So I dug around and found out that it's the Absolute referencing. No problem, I went through, highlighted the various rules, and used F4 to 'cycle' through so I have absolute column references with relative row references.

Here's where it gets goofy - as soon as I click Apply, it reverts back to absolute column/absolute row ($ has been added back to my row reference).

So I tried manually entering a few references and got the same thing: my Excel Conditional Formatting is hooked on absolute references and refuses to let them go.

I poked around the options, but maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it.
I also poked around the forums and didn't see a thread covering this particular one. If there's one out there, please just point me to it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Solon

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riley Johnson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back