Stopped working, not sure why

ajc5382

Below is code for my volatility calculation.

rngvol is the number of days the volatility is taken over
volcal is the number of data items
cor1 is the standard deviation over a given range
volatility 1 should be the volatilty result

'Statistical Volatility Calculation 1

rngvol = Worksheets("config").Cells(32, 2)
volcalc = WorksheetFunction.CountA(Sheets("INFO").Range("A:A"))

Do Until Worksheets("info").Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 1).Value = ""
For i = 1 To volcalc - rngvol + 1
cor1 = WorksheetFunction.StDev(INFO.Range(INFO.Cells(2 + i, 4), INFO.Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 4)).Value)
volatility1 = cor1 * Worksheets("config").Cells(38, 2).Value
Worksheets("info").Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 8).Value = volatility1

Next i
Exit Do

Loop

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi,

Two questions:

What do you mean by "Stopped working"?

What is the purpose of the Do...Loop?

1.I left the previous day with everything working fine, and came back the next day to find that it wasn't generating any values or calculations. There was no error, but it wasn't working correctly.

2. The do...loop stops the calculation when there is no longer data.

Upvote 0
Potential reasons could be Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 1) is empty, or volcalc - rngvol + 1 is zero.

Use debug to trace the values.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
Potential reasons could be Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 1) is empty, or volcalc - rngvol + 1 is zero.

Use debug to trace the values.

I made a few minor adjustments, interestingly enough, when I step through this section of the code, each time I push F8 it calculates the value. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Which value? Can you post sample data with the code, so we can be on the same page. It is difficult to judge with the absence of the code and data.

Upvote 0
I removed the do...until statement, however know im getting an error that the stdev property of the worksheet function class cannot be found. This was just working I have no idea what happened. Is there something wrong with my notation? I've gotten this error with worksheetfunction.ln() Regardless. All that this code is doing is:

1. Taking a range of data from a column with % differences, and using the worksheetfunction class to calculate the standard deviation.
2. Multiplying that by the sqrt of 365 to calculate the volatility.

Upvote 0
Try replacing
Code:
[FONT="Consolas"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]cor1 = WorksheetFunction.StDev(INFO.Range(INFO.Cells(2 + i, 4), INFO.Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 4)).Value)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
with
Code:
[FONT="Consolas"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]With Worksheets("info")
    cor1 = WorksheetFunction.StDev(.Range(.Cells(2 + i, 4), .Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 4)).Value)
End With[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Try replacing
Code:
[FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy]cor1 = WorksheetFunction.StDev(INFO.Range(INFO.Cells(2 + i, 4), INFO.Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 4)).Value)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
with
Code:
[FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy]With Worksheets("info")
    cor1 = WorksheetFunction.StDev(.Range(.Cells(2 + i, 4), .Cells(rngvol + i + 1, 4)).Value)
End With[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'll try it tomorrow, thanks so much you've been a huge help. I have a question though, is it possible if the variable wasn't dimmed originally (at all) or was dimmed incorrectly, that this could be the cause of the error.

Upvote 0
I have a question though, is it possible if the variable wasn't dimmed originally (at all) or was dimmed incorrectly, that this could be the cause of the error.
If the variable was not declared (dimmed) it will be considered as variant and this will not affect the process. Still you get accurate results.

If the variable was incorrectly declared (e.g. declared as Long and used as string) it will generate a Type Mismatch error that stops the process.

You can just avoid this unnecessary headache and declare all variables before use. Use Option Explicit on top of the Module or code window to help locating undeclared variables.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back