Stuck on creating formula with conditional formatting

Kiemah

Hi!

So in my 8th hour of trying to figure this out I've decided to bring in reinforcement ;) I'm not even sure if the thing I'm trying to do is possible, so I'm hoping you can help me out!

So what it is, is the following. I'm creating an hour log that also allows me to divide my day up in the different projects I'm working on. So column A allows me to fill in the hours - column B allows me to select a project from a dropdown menu that I've color coded. Each they has three of these two column so I can work on multiple projects a day and log them.

Now what I would like excel to do is (in the end) create a (pie)chart of the amount of hours spend on each project over the course of the year. So excel would have to automatically link the amount of hours to the different coded project, add them up and give me an overview of the total of hours spend on a project over the course of a week/month or year. I eventually wanna have it per year, but I don't mind breaking it down if that makes it possible to create this formula. I think what's making it tricky is the fact that 'hours' and 'project' are two separate columns and the 'project' column has about 30 variables.

Hope you get what I'm getting at and are able to help me! English is not my native language so trying to Google the right formulas is tough with this particular problem. I'm going nuts not being able to figure this one out, so thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back