Excelgovgeek

I am racking my brain trying to figure out how to highlight the cell if it's formula has changed.

For example, the formula in the cell is: =IFERROR(SUM(K5,L5)*VLOOKUP($G5,OH,2,FALSE),0)

if a user changes the cell's formula to be something like: =IFERROR((K5)*VLOOKUP($G5,OH,2,FALSE),0) ,I'd like to be able to highlight the cell's color (essentially tracking if the cell has changed).

Not sure if this is possible but it seems like it should be able to be done. This is a workbook that is going out to a large user base so I would rather not use VBA as some of their networks may block macros and .xlsm docs.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi,

If a lot of users are going to use the same workbook, you might transform it to a shared workbook.
Shared workbooks allow multiple users to work on the same file at once, and give the possibility to have a modification history.

Go to the review tab and click "Share this Workbook".
Give it a try first because shared workbooks have a lot of drawbacks.

Hope it helped

Upvote 0
Let's say your formula is in A1. Place the following formula in a cell somewhere on the sheet where you can hide it later:

Code:
=FORMULATEXT(A1)

Let's say you put this in Z1. Copy cell Z1 and paste special as "values". This gives you the formula in the cell. Now add a conditional format rule on cell A1 using a formula:

Code:
=FORMULATEXT(A1)<>Z1

Choose a highlight when the condition is true. Hide column Z and try changing the formula in A1 - it should highlight if you change it from the original value.

WBD

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion! For some reason I am missing something however. =FORMULATEXT is not available for me. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Forgive me, I see that this is available in Excel 2016. I attempted this on that version and it works beautifully! Thank you for the suggestion!!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back