Translate to VBA

ECUPIRATE

I created a formula that works perfectly! This formula will count the amount of people on a list by counting the characters in column A, which is number 1- ?. Is there a way to translate this to VBA?

Note:
- the minus 9 and plus 9 represent the count (1-9 that I don't want to divide by.. it's just an offset.
- the minus 10 represents the number of characters in the heading that I don't want to include.

So basically I figured since 1-9 is constant and will always be 1 character, I would remove it... then count all the numbers that have a character of 2 and divide that by 2 to get 1 count... then I added the 9 back which accurately counts the number of people on the chronological list.

=(((SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A:A))-10)-9)/2)+9)))

If anyone could help me translate this formula to VBA that would be awesome!

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
May I ask why you aren't using the COUNTA formula? Assuming that your header is in cell A1 and you don't want to include that in the count, is there a specific reason you aren't using =COUNTA(A:A)-1 ? As for using it in VBA, maybe something like this?

Code:
Sub CountNames()
    Dim x As Integer

x = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(Columns("A")) - 1
    Debug.Print x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks, that works well. I'm not using the Counta because Column A has a formula that is Auto-filled down to the Last Row. So, I only want to count the cells that contain 1 or 2 characters.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back