TreeView control disappearing from shared workbook

der_roedie

Hello,

I have a strange problem and I have no idea what's causing it.
I have written an application in Excel 2003 that is used by multiple users. The workbook is located on a network-share and everybody except me has read-only rights there.

Since last week a user opened the workbook and it gave run-time errors when starting up (not really good at error-trapping :) ). After investigating it was clear that the Treeview-control was missing from the main-form. The Treeview control (6.0) is essential for the application and needs to be there because it gets populated with data from a SQL database. I corrected the problem by adding the treeview control again and saved the file. Today the control was missing again !?!?!?!

Does anybody have a clue why it is possible that the treeview control is gone eventhough nobody is able to save the file?

Regards,

Ruud

Hi Rory,

I dragged and dropped it from the Toolbox that's in the VBA IDE.

Here are the steps I took:
In the IDE .. Tools > References .. added Windows Common Controls 6.0
Created a new UserForm
In the Toolbox right click ... Additional Controls
Selected Microsoft TreeView 6.0. TreeView gets added to Toolbox.
Clicked TreeView in Toolbox and placed on UserForm
Error Msg : 'Element Not Found'.

(this does not happen if placing a TreeView on a worksheet!)

Thanks for any insights. Nothing on other forums on this so far.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I'll have a look at lunchtime. Are you using a 64bit OS or 32 bit?
PS Interesting username at EE. ;)

Upvote 0
I did not add it to a userform but to a worksheet.
For a userform in Excel 2003:

- Rightclick on the toolbox
- Search for Microsoft Treeview control 6.0
- select it and click OK

The control is now added to your toolbox and can be placed on a form just like any other control.

Upvote 0
I want to confirm that when I put a TreeView on a worksheet just like (Der_Rodie) I had the same experience - ie. disappearing when workbook opened.

Upvote 0
The last few days users are not experiencing the disappearing control anymore....

I'm starting to doubt myself :S

Upvote 0
Well, it doesn't appear to be an issue with Excel 2010 per se, since I just added one to a form in 2010 with no problems at all. I do however have 2003, 2007 and 2010 all on the same machine. I will try and test with a machine that only has 2010 and see if that makes any difference.

Edit: also tested on an XP VM with just XL2010 installed - no problems there either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rory,
That's great news.

I installed Excel 2010 from the same download .exe (from MAPS) on another 32-bit Vista machine and got the same error. I'm thinking that the RTM download I got about a week ago is corrupt (?).

Also, I'd also like to have 2003 and 2007 on the same machine - I incorrectly thought 2010 does not allow other versions on same machine. Is there a special install procedure? Please tell me how? If I can do that that would also be brilliant!

Thanks for helping me with this Rory.

(Der_Rodie, good to hear your disappearing Tree is got better. But it's real 'cos it happened to me. Shall watch closely)

Upvote 0
You need to install 2003, then 2007, then 2010. You can only have one version of Outlook though. Note also that this is not MS recommended, but I have no problems with it (other than you will keep getting an annoying "configuring..." message when switching between Access versions.)
You have to use 2010 32-bit though - the 64 bit version will not coexist with any 32 bit versions.

I don't have Vista installed on anything so I can't say if that might be related to your problem. What is MAPS by the way?

Upvote 0
Maps = Microsoft Action Pack Subscription. It's a Partner Programme benefit. The new 'Developer and Design' grade is great value.

Upvote 0
Oh, right. Apparently it's now called the "Microsoft Action Pack Solution Provider". :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back