TreeView control disappearing from shared workbook

der_roedie

Hello,

I have a strange problem and I have no idea what's causing it.
I have written an application in Excel 2003 that is used by multiple users. The workbook is located on a network-share and everybody except me has read-only rights there.

Since last week a user opened the workbook and it gave run-time errors when starting up (not really good at error-trapping :) ). After investigating it was clear that the Treeview-control was missing from the main-form. The Treeview control (6.0) is essential for the application and needs to be there because it gets populated with data from a SQL database. I corrected the problem by adding the treeview control again and saved the file. Today the control was missing again !?!?!?!

Does anybody have a clue why it is possible that the treeview control is gone eventhough nobody is able to save the file?

Regards,

Ruud

Update ... I uninstalled all my Office installations and Re-installed Office 2007 fresh (Vista 32.bit). And the TreeView does not work even on 2007 now!

A clue is, in the Tools > References I cannot see Windows Common Controls 6.0 (or any). So I browsed to MSCOMCTL.OCX and added it, ok. But I get the same earlier error.

I think the problem is indicated by the library not appearing in the Tools > References in the first instance. (Browsing to it makes no difference)

Question is why? And how can I fix this?
What I have learned today is, it's not a 2010 problem (as Rory confirms also).

(looking for a Office 2003 disc somewhere in the house ..!)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
It doesn't appear in the References list by default for me either, so I'm not sure that's relevant.
You might try searching your hard drive for .exd files and deleting them and then trying again.

Upvote 0
Cracked it!

Rory, you were right. There were .exd files - I didn't know anything about these, but now I do. Deleted all 6 that I found and BINGO!

Thanks to Rory, der_roedie and all those who gave it a try.

Upvote 0
Excellent news - glad to help! :)

Upvote 0
Hi , i am new to this group and wanted to share same issue i have been facing. where Treeview control in Excel 2003 get disappear every time i save file and open again. based on some reaserach i found that some of active X controles by default has been flagged as Unsafe for use in registry setting for office.

i had also came across a blog from some other group where its an common issue caused due to recent patches been released by company .As per blog there might be corrective pathes would be relased soon in day or 2 see below part of blog
----------------------------------------------
Paul,
I've done quite a bit of digging on this issue. Many of the VB6 controls were the victim of the killbit process however I think what you are seeing is a bug. From the information I've been able to gather internally the tree view control should have been patched a while back and not susceptible to the killbit in the security update. You should be able to instantiate the control. I've been able to locate at least one other case like yours.
It looks like there is a rollup of fixes scheduled to be released tomorrow, 6/29/2010, and one of the fixes should be for this issue. I'll post back here once I can confirm the rollup is made available.

Will
------------------------------------------------------
Kanu

Upvote 0
I would love to hear if anyone has found a solution to this problem! Recently I've started having the same issue, and I have no idea what has changed.

Unfortunately, this isn't something that is happening to any one particular user... in fact, all of us have found the same thing to be true.

Any one of us can open the file, choose our filters from the TreeView, run a report successfully, and then save and close the file. That user could then re-open the file without anyone else having touched it and the TreeView controls are suddenly gone.

We've been using this file without issue for a long time, but now that we're all in Office 2007 it no longer works for us...

I've been considering dynamically building the TreeViews from within the VBA code and placing them on the screen on startup, but that seems unnecessarily complicated!

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm back again with the same problem but now when using Office 2010 :(

We are planning on replacing Office 2003 with Office 2010 in the near future but my application is a critical one that needs to function correctly.

When testing the application in Office 2010 I noticed that the TreeView control (i placed it on a sheet) disappears when saving and reopening the workbook. It looks like it is a random thing because a few minutes ago I was able to save, exit and reopen the workbook and the TreeView control was still there, the 5th time it was gone again :confused::eek: It drives me insane.

Is there anyone who succesfully fixed this problem?

Upvote 0
der_roedie,

I put the TreeView on a UserForm (they can be made to look pretty in 2010) and I have never had this problem doing it that way.

The other advantage is that if you make the form Non-Modal you can have the TreeView remain on top while activating other sheets.

Upvote 0
Hi Hiran,

good to see your still here :)
It is not an option to make the form 'float' i think.

Do you know if it is possible to add the treeview control to the worksheet on runtime? That way I could just spawn the object every time the workbook is opened.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back