Trying to extract a value from a cell, but only when the cell is found in a row containing 'x'

PETERFT73

Hello, I am *brand new* both to this site and really to Excel. I've used Excel before, but only for the most basic of tasks. I've spent the past 5 hours trying to wrap my mind around INDEX and MATCH and VLOOKUP. I feel like an imbecile so I'm asking for some help.

I have a huge spreadsheet of NFL data, it is overwhelming. But there are probably around 50-75 numbers that I really need. I'm asking for help with;
1. Extracting the values from column BU *but* but only in rows containing a certain word ('NFC' for example) Once the program has found my BU value, I'd like it on another sheet along with the contents of BT and AY from that same row.
2. Once I have this in place, I need to be able to apply it to several spreadsheets throughout the week. The fields will remain constant with the exception of a few where the projection has changed. I'd like to be able to apply this formula to a new sheet whenever I get my hands on one.

I hope I'm not asking for the moon. I really do appreciate any time that any of you spend trying to help me out.
Thanks!!
Peter<attachment></attachment><attachment></attachment>

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
PETERFT73, You're not asking for the moon but not far off, just a mini project. I can only try to point you in the right directions. First, INDEX and MATCH and VLOOKUP are worksheet functions. I wouldn't say what you want to do is impossible using worksheet functions but it will be quite unwieldy. Re-usability, which you want, will also be a problem.

You need to consider going VBA. If you're not familiar with it there are many helpful sites out there on the www, this will be a good challenge to tackle and you may be surprised how much you can learn and do with a project like this.

If you want a quick result for now, I'd advise that you:

1. Apply filters to your table
2. Filter column BU using "NFC"
3. Copy the result to another sheet.

You can record a macro to do these and the macro can be modified to do the same thing on other tables.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. I've no idea how to apply filters. I found the button for it, but it's greyed out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back