Trying to load data from an Access crosstab query, but with variable field names

baldmosher

I have a SELECT query in an Access 2010 ACCDB that I'm trying to load into Excel using either Microsoft Query and/or VBA, whilst applying a WHERE filter to the original Access SELECT query.

What complicates matters is that I have to use * to load all the fields from a crosstab sub-query, because it could be any of 400+ fields in use in the query, and I can't predict when a new field will be added into the data.

So I'm basically trying to load this into an Excel querytable or pivot (either would do but prefer querytable):
SELECT * FROM [qryCrosstab] WHERE [Field1]='ABC'

However, I don't know how to do this.
- Microsoft Query apparently won't let me use * and times out when I try to use it, so that's no good.
- Excel won't let me apply a filter to the Access linked query properties (or will it?) unless I create multiple copies of the same query in the source database with each filtered item (and I'm trying to avoid doing this).
- VBA queries are slightly alien to me, unless I am using the MS Query interface, doing the VBA within Access, or amending someone else's code.

Is this as simple as I think it should be?

Or is it so difficult that I should just deal with the extra workload and create multiple copies of the same query in Access with each [Field1] filter item applied? We're only talking about 10 copies, so not the end of the world to do that.

I always figure there must be an easy solution!!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
you want COPYFROMRECORDSET.

It would be easier to export the crosstab FROM access. But if you cant, then on the Excel side, you must connect to the db using ADO:

Code:
Public Sub CopyRST()
Dim con as ADODB.Connection
Dim rs as ADODB.Recordset    
 uid = "BSmith"
 pwd = ""
 DB = "\\amer\UMA\104J.mdb"
 vProvid = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"     '  "SQLOLEDB"

With con
    .Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
    .Properties("User ID").Value = uid
    .Properties("Password").Value = pwd

.Open "Data Source=" & DB & ";Jet OLEDB"
End With

Set rs = con.Execute("qsNames_simps")
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").CopyFromRecordset rs

rs.Close
con.Close
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I may need to do more research on OLEDB, as I can't see where in that code you would specify the filter? What is "qsNames_simps"?

By export it, do you mean create several new tables with the relevant filters, and import from each table? I guess that's the easiest way to get around the problem. It's currently taking 15+mins just to create each copy of the query....!!

It would be so much easier if I could specify the fields, but that just isn't practical, without a heck of a lot of coding and workarounds. That's certainly possible to do (create a SELECT that outputs the full list of fields, import that list of fields into Excel, then call each field in turn to create a code string for DoCmd.RunSQL or similar)

Upvote 0
qsNames_simps is my query holding the data.
You could also assign sql text here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back