Update Query or Append Query

The Grim Discovery

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Access People

Wondering if there was any quick and dirty advice you can give an Access noob.

I've created two basic tables A and B. They've each got 18 sets of data linked by a primary key.
I've created an update query so that Table B matches up with any changes I make to Table A. It's great... But when I add a 19th row of data to Table A and then run the update query it doesn't show in Table B. I've tried using an append query instead but this tells me there are 18 (not 19) Key Violations.

If nothing else could you tell me which query type I should be using to get this 19th row of data from Table A to Table B.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the on-going support people. Well, the one query is now doing the whole thing which is all a bit of a revelation.
I'm finding that having run the query I need to close Access and open it again to see the transposition of the data into the second table via the query. Pretty sure that this isn't meant to be the way it functions - guessing its a localised problem with the PC or whatever.

I'm likely to be doing more and more on Access and I'm wondering if there are helpful books youd signpost me to because I'm conscious that while this is new to me I could potentially clog up the discussion board and p1ss everyone of. I've got a Dummies Guide to Access and have started out on a MOS Access 2010/6 course. But I couldn't find the help I was looking for in those - which is why I'm on here really. Also any general tips or advice you'd give a learner would be gladly welcomed.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I learned Access using the Microsoft Step-by-Step guide, which was a fine introductory book, but doesn't really get too much into things like nested queries, or more complex queries. I kind of learned those as I was learning SQL at the same time. However, I imagine that there are probably some good books out there. There is also tons of good information that can be found on-line (articles and tutorial videos). One of the foremost Access experts on-line is Allen Browne. He has some good information on his sites.

Also, if designing databases is something that you will be doing, I highly recommend brushing up on Relational Database theory, especially the Rules of Normalization. Designing your data tables properly will go a long way in allowing you to do the tasks you need to do. If not set-up properly, seemingly simple tasks can be very difficult (been there, done that!).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaurav_7829

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back