Use embedded Word document as template ... Excel macro to populate the document

bisel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I don't know if this is something that is practical ... hoping perhaps someone can help.

I have a large workbook that is a financial analysis application. Lots of macros. I have users that have asked if there is way to create a routine that would populate a Word document with data from the workbook.

My thought is that perhaps an embedded Word document might work. This embedded document would be a template with boilerplate text already created along with positional fields for specific data from the Excel workbook. I have worked with linked fields in the past and perhaps that might be a way to work this ... the only problem is updating the link source. Perhaps a template with various links to the Excel workbook and then a macro that would update the link source could be a solution.

I think I can identify various named fields in Excel and copy and paste the data into a Word document at various points in the document. Have to see what obstacles I might encounter as I try to do that.

But, for the present ... is this practical? Has anyone done something like this before? Looking for some guidance.

Thanks,

Steve

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
have you reversed the problem, look at word mail merge

Upvote 0
I have been thinking of a way to do this.

What I want to do is have a relatively easy way for the end user (not me) to click on a command button which would activate an embedded Word document. Once the Word template document was open, then query the user to identify the linked source ... full path and filename ... of the Excel workbook. The workbook is not likely to be the same name as I created as the user first step is to rename the file. So any links already in the Word document will no longer function .. .hence, the need to have the user to update the link source.

Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back