Using the result of a formula in another formula

lele_lala

Hi,

I have searched this forum and not found a solution to my problem yet, but everyone seems helpful here so I'm hopeful.

I have used a VLOOKUP to return a numerical value from text data from multiple columns. I have then averaged these results using a simple AVERAGE. I would now like to turn the numerical value results from the AVERAGE column, back in to the original text value using a VLOOKUP.

I have tried using a VLOOKUP within VLOOKUP but it won't work - I think because the lookup value is multiple cells with different values in. I've also tried using VALUE to transfer the result from AVERAGE in to a value, but it is returning the incorrect text value from the table. So for example, 4 should return 'proficient', but it is returning 'fail' which is a 0.

I hope someone can help me as I'm at a loss!

I was so sure this was going to work...alas, the #N/A is back to haunt me! Could it be that because the cell listed as H7 above is a formula, rather than a value?! I am getting towards the end of my patience with it!

I'm not too sure on the term 'array' in context of VLOOKUP, so that could be contributing?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
OK, in an empty cell enter

=V3=B??

Change ?? to be the cell with the number that matches.

What result do you get?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then they do not match, which is why the vlookup doesn't find it.

It suggests that one of the values is text whilst the other is a number.
If one is the result of a formula, does the formula tell it to return e.g. "2" using quotation marks either side? If so, then this is returning text NOT a number, remove the quotation marks from the numbers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back