VBA code refuses to open a file after it has been converted to .xlsb

juuter

Hi,

I am having issues moving a set of workbooks from .xls format to .xlsb in Excel 2010 (v. 14.0.7128.5000, 32-bit, SP 1 and 2 installed). basically I have a file which has a button that runs a macro. The macro opens 5 other files and everything works nice and beatifully until my collegues try it on an older version of Excel 2010 (14.0.6129.5000, 32-bit no SPs). Their Excels cannot open the simplest of the five files which doesn't have any macros.

The problem appears after the line:
Code:
Workbooks.Open(Filename:=MyName, UpdateLinks:=0).RunAutoMacros Which:=xlAutoOpen
And there are no error messages other than the message about unsuccesful opening.

When opening the file alone with older excel it says that it has repaired external formula reference in ExternalLink1.bin. The repaired file doesn't work on the older excel either, but does on the new one. I looked at the ExternalLink1 in xml form after a .xlsm conversion and compared the original and repaired ones. I found out that the repaired sheet had 2 additional lines:
HTML:
ln 27 <sheetName val="myfile"/>
ln 805 <sheetData sheetId="22" refreshError="1"/>
<sheetdata sheetid="22" refresherror="1"> <sheetname val="myfile"><sheetname val="cand_mgw"><sheetdata sheetid="22" refresherror="1"><sheetdata sheetid="22" refresherror="1">

However, I can't see what the impact of these could be. myfile is just the name of the workbook, the ExternalLink1 file works with.

Lastly I tried to copy one of the sheets from the old .xls file to the .xlsb manually. This messed up the links of the file but at least it then opened. However since I had to (again manually) change the links back to get the functionality of the files back the bugger wouldn't open again.

Now I am running out of ideas. Does anyone here happen to have any? Unfortunately I cannot post massive amounts of the code because of its business sensitivity.</sheetdata></sheetdata></sheetname></sheetname></sheetdata></sheetdata></sheetname>

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back