VBA Code to Move Row Based Upon Condition - Same Worksheet

savv37

Hello,
I need some help developing a VBA code to move a row of cells based upon a cell which contains a dropdown list. I'm ok with the basic formulas however when it comes to VBA I'm clueless since I haven't used VBA in a very long time, so any help would be appreciated.

Basically my list is similar to Task List which lists projects, due dates & completion status, fairly basic stuff.

Currently I have my status' setup in a dropdown list as, without the double hyphen
--Completed
--Awarded
--Not Started
--In Progress
--Lost
--Not Bidding

I currently have VBA Code to move the "Lost", "Not Bidding" & "Awarded" to three similarly named Worksheets. What I am attempting to do now is break down my Project List into "Completed", "Not Started" & "In Progress" on the same worksheet versus breaking them out into different worksheets.

I've searched the web & various forums and all I can seem to locate is moving a row to another workbook or worksheet.

Thanks in advance for the help....

Scott

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Welcome to the Board!

Why not just use Filters, and then you can display any status (or groups of statuses) at any time dynamically simply by changing your filter selection?

Upvote 0
It's important that I can get an immediate overview of what's happening at a glance with my estimating department, using filters means I lose the overview of whats happening.

Upvote 0
It's important that I can get an immediate overview of what's happening at a glance with my estimating department, using filters means I lose the overview of whats happening.
How so? You are going to need to explain that.
If we don't have a clear understanding of what you are trying to do, and exactly why some methods will not work, it is going to be difficult to help you.

What would probably be most helpful is if you post a sample of your data, and then what you want your expected output to look like.
You cannot upload files to this site. But there are tools you can use to post screen images. They are listed in Section B of this link here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-a...forum-use.html.
Also, there is a Test Here forum on this board that you can use to test out these tools to make sure they are working correctly before using them in your question.

Upvote 0
How so? You are going to need to explain that.
If we don't have a clear understanding of what you are trying to do, and exactly why some methods will not work, it is going to be difficult to help you.

What would probably be most helpful is if you post a sample of your data, and then what you want your expected output to look like.
You cannot upload files to this site. But there are tools you can use to post screen images. They are listed in Section B of this link here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-a...forum-use.html.
Also, there is a Test Here forum on this board that you can use to test out these tools to make sure they are working correctly before using them in your question.

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST
1Not StartedBid Information
2EST. No.PRIORITYDUE DATETIMESTATUSPROJECT NAMECITYDLPROJECT SECTORNOTESGC BIDDERSESTIMATE ($)BUDGET ($)CONTRACT ($)AWARDED ($)TO WHOMEstimate vs. Budget ($)Contract vs. Budget ($)MarkUp BUG vs. ESTEstimate vs. Contract (%)
3PROJECT NAME #1VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
4PROJECT NAME #2VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
5PROJECT NAME #3VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
7In ProgressBid Information
8EST. No.PRIORITYDUE DATETIMESTATUSPROJECT NAMECITYDLPROJECT SECTORNOTESGC BIDDERSESTIMATE ($)BUDGET ($)CONTRACT ($)AWARDED ($)TO WHOMEstimate vs. Budget ($)Contract vs. Budget ($)MarkUp BUG vs. ESTEstimate vs. Contract (%)
9PROJECT NAME #11VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
10PROJECT NAME #21VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
11PROJECT NAME #31VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
14CompletedBid Information
15EST. No.PRIORITYDUE DATETIMESTATUSPROJECT NAMECITYDLPROJECT SECTORNOTESGC BIDDERSESTIMATE ($)BUDGET ($)CONTRACT ($)AWARDED ($)TO WHOMEstimate vs. Budget ($)Contract vs. Budget ($)MarkUp BUG vs. ESTEstimate vs. Contract (%)
16PROJECT NAME #111VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
17PROJECT NAME #211VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
18PROJECT NAME #311VARIOUS DATA FILLED IN
BIDDING

I hope this answers the question.

Upvote 0
I hit reply too quickly...

The purpose of this is show a quick overview of what's coming up, what is in the works, what has been & where our potential work is coming from. Essentially this is a lead generation application.

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly.
You want a script to look down column A of a sheet named "Bidding"

And if the value:
"Completed", "Not Started" or "In Progress"

are found to copy this row of data to another sheet.

What is the name of this other sheet?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I already have that capability. What I am looking for is the ability to move the completed, not started or in progress items down 20 or so rows under the correct heading. For instance if i create a heading Not Started in row/col A1, In Progress in row/col A25 & Completed in row/col in A50, the items marked Not Started would remain in rows 1,2,3, etc while the In Progress would move to row 26, 27, 28, etc & Completed would move to row 51, 52, 53, etc. The Not Started, In Progress & Completed items would perform an insert versus a paste so they never wrote over one another.

Hope that's a bit clearer...

Upvote 0
This is beyond my knowledgebase.
Are you not able to do a sort?

I will continue to monitor this thread to see what I can learn.

Upvote 0
I already have that capability. What I am looking for is the ability to move the completed, not started or in progress items down 20 or so rows under the correct heading. For instance if i create a heading Not Started in row/col A1, In Progress in row/col A25 & Completed in row/col in A50, the items marked Not Started would remain in rows 1,2,3, etc while the In Progress would move to row 26, 27, 28, etc & Completed would move to row 51, 52, 53, etc. The Not Started, In Progress & Completed items would perform an insert versus a paste so they never wrote over one another.

I think the easier thing to do would be to sort all the records by status, then insert a bunch of rows at each change in status and add in whatever headers/totals rows that you want.
That is probably how I would approach it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back