VBA form question/guidance

mbosch17

Hey there, new to the forum. Been working on an excel project and I am having some difficulty figuring out how to go about what I need to do.

What I am trying to build is a program that lets a user select various options as they build a vehicle. And by selecting one engine, it grays out all other engine options. And so on down the list. And as the user is building, I would like to have a running total so they can see how much money they are currently at.

I would also like the ability to minimize sub assemblies once they are complete. For example, when the user is done with exterior options, all the options minimize and all you see is the subtotal for that sub assembly.

Is VBA and forms the correct way to go about this? I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but coding was always like an alien language to me. Is this something I can teach myself with some patience and a good book? Or am I diving in way over my head?

Any help, guidance, advice, warnings, etc. are very much appreciated!!

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Gosh! Tricky one!

How much time do you have any what is the significance of error? If you have a real commercial dependency on this then I reckon you should pay someone to help you. Excel might not be the best application for this either. I can't say if it is or not, but a professional should be able to give you some guidance, provided that you give a good specification for what you are after.

But you seem to be on the right track. What you describe could be achieved using userforms and controls. I don't know where the parts and costs are stored. Perhaps that data belongs in a database (SQL), and hence you now have additional complexity to contend with.

I think you are describing a sexy sort of BoM tool. It's been done in Excel, but what you describe is a real project, and it may challenge even seasoned Excel developers. Proceed with caution. ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum. We're happy to help where we can, if you do decide to have a crack at it.

Upvote 0
Jon...

Thank you for the response. I was afraid I was getting in over my head on this. I am always willing to learn, but I don't think I have the time to try and learn all that a project like this entails AND get it complete in a timely manner.

Any suggestions on literature I could follow as a walk through? As cliche as it may sound, the VBA programming for dummies looks like it really tries to explain things on a level non programmers could pick up on.

Thanks again for the quick reply! This is going to be a doozy any way I slice it.

Upvote 0
Ok sure. I struggle with these recommendations because (a) I haven't read all of the books - I used to read everything but I just don't have the time anymore, (b) books are cool, but to be honest I didn't learn much more than 15% from books hence (c) I think your best resource is the internet and (d) last time I recommended my favourite one of the competitor authors got a bit upset.

A VBA book that I will recommend is the VBA Programmers Reference by Wrox. It's more of a dictionary really. I don't know when they last updated it. I know they did an Excel 2007 one. It doesn't really matter if it hasn't been updated for 2010/2016 - all you need is pretty much there.

If you want tutorial then I reckon you can pick just about anything - they're all pretty much the same, IMO (sorry to all the dear authors reading this that are probably going to unfriend me on twitter and facebook now).

Sorry, I know I'm being vague.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khairianr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back