VBA: If Row has Content, Populate Column

SteveOranjin

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a formula that is working at a subsistence level that I want to get operating in a better way. What the Formula I have does

Take Data from Cells in Sheet2 and Populate the first 1,000 rows in sheet 1 with it.

What I'd like this formula to do instead is
  • Create two new columns, insert them BEFORE the existing A&B Columns. So A and B are now C and D.
    • ​With the new Row Enter Into Cell A1: "Brandname"
    • With the new Row Enter Into Cell B1: "Brandcode"
  • Grab the content from Cells Q3 and R3 in "Sheet2"
  • Populate all of A and B cells with the values from Q3 and R3 where there is content in the row.
    • Clarification: So if 1000C has any value in it at all, put the values from Q3 and R3 into A1000 and B1000
    • If D1001 has data in it, also populate A1001 and B1001 with the designated values

Below, is the formula I have working now. I don't imagine it will be much help, but your welcome to take a look.

Code:
Sub First_2_Column_Set_Up()'
' First_2_Column_Set_Up Macro
'

'
    ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 2
    Range("Q3:R3").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    Range("A2").Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("A2:B1073")
    Range("A2:B1047").Select
    Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Range("B1").Select
End Sub

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Is this what you're after?
Code:
Sub AddData()

With Sheets("Sheet1")
      .Columns(1).Resize(, 2).Insert
      .Range("A1:B1").Value = Array("Brandname", "BrandCode")
      With .Range("C2", .Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlConstants)
         .Offset(, -2).Value = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("Q3").Value
         .Offset(, -1).Value = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("R3").Value
      End With
   End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello,

I am using the following code, but it seems to be having a number of problems. So when I initially enter data into this sheet, I always enter it as, "Paste Values". The problem is, when I then activate the formula, it A.) duplicates all of the data that is already in the sheet, B.) it re-formats all of the data so it comes in with all of the pre-configured formatting that I removed. But it only does it to one of the two sets of data, not both.

I'm not deeply familiar with VBA, but I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be happening. I'm thinking it's either something to do with the code, or it has something to do with a different VBA operation that I have entered in.

The formula is designed to enter 2 columns of data in row "A", and "B" and populate them with information I have entered in a different field.

Code:
Sub AddData()

With Sheets("Sheet1")
End With
End With

End Sub

Steve

Upvote 0
Firstly (a piece of friendly advice) that is a macro (or code) not a formula. By referring to a macro as a formula you are
a) Likely to confuse people
b) Limit the number of potential helpers. eg if you had put Formula in the thread title, I (and others) wouldn't have looked at the thread, as I predominantly help with VBA.
As to your problems
That code shouldn't be changing any formats as it's just copying values. If formats are changing it's either due to other macros, or conditional formatting.
Also for any row where col C (in sheet1) has a value it will insert the values from Q3 & R3 on sheet2 into cols A & B for that row. Is that not happening, or is that not what you want?

Upvote 0
Fluff,

Thanks for your friendly advice. I'm not always as careful when I'm typing as I should be.

The code there is performing all it is supposed to do. It is just also performing these other actions as well. I'm not sure I made myself clear, so I'll try re-wording what I said.

It is doing two things it shouldn't be doing (At times. Under what circumstances it performs these actions, and what times it doesn't I have not determined a common denominator)
- It is
- Pasting the entire set of data at the END of the original set of data. So they are flush. So, if the original data set had 5 columns, it would now have 10. The only columns it is not duplicating are the ones that
are inserted.
- It is somehow adding the original formats to one of, not both of, the data sets.

Hope I'm making myself clear here. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Steve

Upvote 0
That sounds like you have an event of somekind that is being triggered, try
Code:
Sub AddData()
Application.EnableEvents = False
   With Sheets("Sheet1")
      End With
   End With
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back