VBA to show/hide columns depending on cell value in first row of column

Sunny London

I have up to 18 columns of data. The first row contains a VLOOKUP formula which returns a blank, 0, 1, 2, 3 etc up to 18. If there are only, say, 10 columns that I want to be visible, they will be numbered 1 - 10 and the other 8 columns will have either a blank or a 0 in the first row.

What is the VBA code that can look at the individual cells in the first row of the data and if it's a blank or 0 hide that column?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Code:
Dim firstRow#, rng As Range, cel As Range
firstRow = 1
Set rng = Cells(firstRow, "A").Resize(1, 18)
For Each cel In rng
    If cel = "0" Or cel = "" Then cel.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Next

Upvote 0
Or:

Code:
Sub tst()
    On Error Resume Next
    Rows(1).SpecialCells(-4123, 1).EntireColumn.Hidden = True
End Sub

For testing purposes, I put in cells A1:Z1:

=IF(COLUMN()<=18,COLUMN(),"")

Wigi

Upvote 0
I can't get either solution to work. I right clicked on the tab and selected View Code then copied and pasted in your code but nothing happens, the columns with 0 or blank in the top row stay visible.

What does the
SpecialCells(-4123, 1)
line of VBA do?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't get either solution to work. I right clicked on the tab and selected View Code then copied and pasted in your code but nothing happens, the columns with 0 or blank in the top row stay visible.

What does the
SpecialCells(-4123, 1)
line of VBA do?

Thanks

I've just tested my code and it works for me.

Try stepping through the code via F8 and see what it does.

Upvote 0
ok, I see. I have to run the macro to make it work. Is there a way of making it run automatically so when the numbers in row A change (they depend on the value of a cell in another worksheet so may be 0 or may be another value) then the columns will hide automatically without the user having to run the macro?

Also, when the numbers change back and are no longer 0, the columns currently don't unhide. How can I make them unhide automatically?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Normally you would paste this code in a normal module, not in the Sheet's code.

What formula do you have in cell A1?

Upvote 0
ok, I see. I have to run the macro to make it work. Is there a way of making it run automatically so when the numbers in row A change (they depend on the value of a cell in another worksheet so may be 0 or may be another value) then the columns will hide automatically without the user having to run the macro?

Also, when the numbers change back and are no longer 0, the columns currently don't unhide. How can I make them unhide automatically?

Thanks

Use event codes like:

Worksheet_Change (on the sheet where the changes in the cells are made)
Worksheet_Deactivate (on the sheet where the changes in the cells are made)
Worksheet_Activate (on the sheet where the columns are shown or not)

Or a simple button for the user to click on. Then you do not depend on events.

You will also need the code to show the columns again.

Wigi

Upvote 0
I want to automatically hide cells D1 to F1, H1 to Z1 and AB1 to AS1 on my "Data" worksheet if there's a blank in their first line. The formula in those cells is:
=IF(Menus!$Y$2<0,"",Menus!$Y$2)
Y2 is a date that can change each time the spreadsheet is used and sometimes there's no date which is when I want the columns to be hidden.

I've just put "100" in cell A1 to stop it being hidden when the macro runs.

Normally row A is hidden to keep the spreadsheet tidy.

Is there some way I can automate the showing/hiding of those columns depending on the value of Y2 on my "Menus" worksheet?

Upvote 0
I want to automatically hide cells D1 to F1, H1 to Z1 and AB1 to AS1 on my "Data" worksheet if there's a blank in their first line. The formula in those cells is:
=IF(Menus!$Y$2<0,"",Menus!$Y$2)
Y2 is a date that can change each time the spreadsheet is used and sometimes there's no date which is when I want the columns to be hidden.

I've just put "100" in cell A1 to stop it being hidden when the macro runs.

Normally row A is hidden to keep the spreadsheet tidy.

Is there some way I can automate the showing/hiding of those columns depending on the value of Y2 on my "Menus" worksheet?

All this explanation confirms that my code is still valid to be used and will work if applied correctly.

If speaking about the Worksheet_Change event like above, it will be based on cell Y2 on sheet Menus.

For the rest, see my texts in the posts above.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back