VBA to show/hide columns depending on cell value in first row of column

Sunny London

I have up to 18 columns of data. The first row contains a VLOOKUP formula which returns a blank, 0, 1, 2, 3 etc up to 18. If there are only, say, 10 columns that I want to be visible, they will be numbered 1 - 10 and the other 8 columns will have either a blank or a 0 in the first row.

What is the VBA code that can look at the individual cells in the first row of the data and if it's a blank or 0 hide that column?

Thanks.

Hi Wigi

Thanks for your help. I'm new to VBA so don't know how to use your event code instructions. At the moment I need things spelt out in more detail if you could (with the full macro code written in so I can copy and paste it). I'm learning VBA and sumitting queries to the forum is helping me to understand it more but I need the answers to be idiot-proof for me to be able to make them work.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Then it'd be better to take a few steps back, and read about the subject.

For instance:

http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/run-macros-change.htm

A Worksheet_Activate event code is similar - again, there's lots of information on the web and this forum if you use the Search function.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. I've tried the following code, but it's not working and even with the link you sent me I don't know enough to know how to correct it.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim firstRow#, rng As Range, cel As Range
firstRow = 1
If Target.Address(False, False) = "A1" Then
Set rng = Cells(firstRow, "A").Resize(1, 46)
For Each cel In rng
If cel = "0" Or cel = "" Then cel.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Next
For Each cel In rng
If cel <> "0" And cel <> "" Then cel.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
Next
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sorry but if you read an article, reply to my post and tried codes, all on 6 minutes, I do not think this is the way to go.

Also, I said you earlier that the worksheet change event must be on another sheet (namely, the sheet where the cell is changed for input). I do not see anything related to different sheets in your code.

Upvote 0
Hi Wigi

I don't know how to relate the macro to different sheets. That's why I'm asking for help. I read the link you sent, it enabled me to get as far as I did, but it didn't cover the specifics of my question.

I need someone to suggest some better code. I'll be able to learn from that.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I don't know how to relate the macro to different sheets.

No problem, just read a few of the most recent topics on the board and you will find plenty of code to reference difference cells, sheets, workbooks and so on.

Upvote 0
Sorry Wigi, I've looked through the recent posts and none of them has my exact problem. I don't know enough about VBA to adapt the replies to those posts to find a solution.

Can you or anyone else suggest some code that would help?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suz0718

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back