Very strange: vlookup shows only half of results characters!?

ulsterijussi

Here's what is bugging me;

have 2 workbooks:
1st is a production lot sheet
2nd is a weekly production planning sheet

I want to type in a lot# on 1st workbook and then get all the relevant data from 2nd workbook.

2nd workbook (weekly production planning) has 52 sheets (hence 52 weeks in a year =)), and the production lot #'s are in column A in descending order. The data (numbers and text, such as raw material type, thickness etc.) are in columns B to K.

So far I have installed morefunc to be able to access the second workbook by THREED func.
I´ve tried VLOOKUP and INDEX/MATCH functions. With VLOOKUP I could get the numbers returned correctly, but not text.. If a cell had the text "MONKEY" the function would return only half of it, ie MON. No matter what I wrote in the cell, Excel would only return half of the letters!

=VLOOKUP(B2;THREED('[PRODUCTIONPLANNING.xlsx]1:52'!A1:K44);2;0)</pre>Grateful for any help I can get!

Ulsteri

Hi again,

googled MID function. Understand it now.

I tried following:

=MID('[PRODUCTIONPLANNING.xlsx]2'!$C$5;4;1)

and it returned K (4th character of MONKEY, the cell's content) so this is correct!

Can someone help me understand all of this?!

Would you do a straight VLOOKUP (without THREED) directly to the relevant sheet delivering that MONKEY result, so we can see whether THREED is the culprit?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Aladin,

yes! VLOOKUP without THREED returns MONKEY quite correctly!

THREED seems to be the problem here. I guess I'm doomed since I wouldn't like to change the two separate workbook with the other one having 52 sheets. They have been in use here for quite a time and people get used to working in a specific manner I'm afraid.

Must be some kind of programming error in the morefunc addon.

Anyone heard of a THREED func substitute? After a quick google session I atleast didn't find any...

Thanks a lot Aladin for staying with me one this one. Saved me from jumping out the window :)

Upvote 0
Aladin,

yes! VLOOKUP without THREED returns MONKEY quite correctly!

THREED seems to be the problem here. I guess I'm doomed since I wouldn't like to change the two separate workbook with the other one having 52 sheets. They have been in use here for quite a time and people get used to working in a specific manner I'm afraid.

Must be some kind of programming error in the morefunc addon.

Anyone heard of a THREED func substitute? After a quick google session I atleast didn't find any...

Thanks a lot Aladin for staying with me one this one. Saved me from jumping out the window :)

If you reduce the number of sheets you feed to THREED, do you still get the same result? What is the Excel version you use?

Upvote 0
Reduced to two sheets only, didn't help. When attempted to reduce to one sheet, gave #REF error.

I'm using Windows 7 and Excel 2007 (Finnish).

Upvote 0
Reduced to two sheets only, didn't help. When attempted to reduce to one sheet, gave #REF error.

I'm using Windows 7 and Excel 2007 (Finnish).

Let's say sheet 1 has the desired result... Change the formula to something like...

=PHAKU(B2;THREED('[PRODUCTIONPLANNING.xlsx]1:2'!A1:K44);2;0)

Adjust to include the relevant sheet plus an additional one. What I'm up to is to investigate whether there is a limit to THREED...

Upvote 0
Made the changes. Unfortunately didn't help.

THREED has a limit of 65k or something cells if I recall correctly.

Tried also to reduce lookup matrix to 12 cells only but this didn't help either.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back