Irwell1878

I have a three tab spreadsheet.

Tab 1 has

ID - First name - Surname - Review Date

Tab 2 has

ID - First Name - Surname - Exit Date

I want tab 3 to bring them both together so to speak

ID - First Name - Surname - Review Date - Exit Date

However the problem is that many of clients have the same ID number so Joe Bloggs and Jane Doe may both have ID of 25 so a Vlookup on ID wouldn't work. This is going to be a regular report with tabs 1 and 2 just having stuff dropped into them to feed into the summary tab so ideally I want no editing to these tabs at all.

Suggestions?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
do an INDEX MATCH for the 2 columns so for example assuming all ID = column A, First Name = column B, and Surname = column C and the headers begin at row 1

in cell D2 in Tab 3
=INDEX(Tab1!$D$2:$D$500,MATCH($A1&$B1&$C1,Tab1!$A$2:$A$500&Tab1!$B$2:$B$500&Tab1!$C$2:$C$500,0))

in cell E2 in Tab 3
=INDEX(Tab2!$D$2:$D$500,MATCH($A1&$B1&$C1,Tab2!$A$2:$A$500&Tab2!$B$2:$B$500&Tab2!$C$2:$C$500,0))

change the 500 to whatever you please, just dont use the entire column as this will slow down the sheet. Use a safe number like 5000 if you know yo will never reach 5000

***IMPORTANT***
These are both array formulas so instead of just hitting ENTER when entering them, use CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER

***EDIT: forgot to add the $ to the rows on the sheets.... they have been added now

Last edited:
Upvote 0
do an INDEX MATCH for the 2 columns so for example assuming all ID = column A, First Name = column B, and Surname = column C and the headers begin at row 1

in cell D2 in Tab 3
=INDEX(Tab1!$D$2:$D$500,MATCH($A1&$B1&$C1,Tab1!$A$2:$A$500&Tab1!$B$2:$B$500&Tab1!$C$2:$C$500,0))

in cell E2 in Tab 3
=INDEX(Tab2!$D$2:$D$500,MATCH($A1&$B1&$C1,Tab2!$A$2:$A$500&Tab2!$B$2:$B$500&Tab2!$C$2:$C$500,0))

change the 500 to whatever you please, just dont use the entire column as this will slow down the sheet. Use a safe number like 5000 if you know yo will never reach 5000

***IMPORTANT***
These are both array formulas so instead of just hitting ENTER when entering them, use CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER

***EDIT: forgot to add the $ to the rows on the sheets.... they have been added now

Thanks for this, the formula works, I just can't remember which project I needed it on. I'll come back to it next week no doubt. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back