Vlookup - Return Multiple Values Across Columns

Dubyah

Hey All,

Got a quick question.. I have two sheets in which I'm trying to combine. The only constant is the URL.. I'd like to bring 7 columns of data over from the 'table' into the master sheet. Any way to do this without writing a new function in each column? Absolute values are cool, too I guess.

I've seen that this can be done by making the vlookup an array function.. But I cant seem to get it to work on my mac.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated, tried my hand at searching the forum but no luck.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
To my knowledge, I don't believe there is a function that will fill multiple cells by itself. If there is, it would probably be in the INDEX/MATCH functions or using the advanced filter.

Clever use of relative and nonrelative references in a VLOOKUP function along with dragging the fill handle across the 7 columns can make fairly quick work of the task. You'd need to adjust the "col_index_num" property for each or make good use of the COLUMN() function.

Upvote 0
Formulas can only return values to the cells that they are located in (they cannot return values to other cells).
So, unless you use VBA, you are going to need formulas in all the cells you want to return values.

Clever use of relative and nonrelative references in a VLOOKUP function along with dragging the fill handle across the 7 columns can make fairly quick work of the task. You'd need to adjust the "col_index_num" property for each or make good use of the COLUMN() function.
Yep, that is what I would recommend.

If you are running into issues, provide your actual formula and pertinent details (i.e. what columns the formulas are being placed in).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses I was able to figure it out on my own with a little finagling. Appreciate your feedback. Here's what I came up with AKA clever use of relative and non-relative references. Sheet2 had over 30k rows so this really did the trick >.<

Code:
[B][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]=VLOOKUP($Q2,Sheet2!$A$2:$G$1185,COLUMN(Sheet2!B2),FALSE)[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back