VLOOKUP works but not Index/Match

ohnow

Hello,
I'm having trouble with vlookups and index/match in a table. I explained the vlookup issue in this post "[h=2]VLOOKUP Only Returning Some Values otherwise #N/A but Index/Match Works".[/h]
It seemed like index/match would work but one row out of a a couple thousand did not work. I'm very familiar with vlookups but tables and the index/match functions are new to me. I have one list of inventory items I'm trying to look to and pull descriptions into a table. There are two columns in the table where descriptions are being pulled. For the same alpha numeric inventory item, C-1621S a vlookup works but an index/match does not.

The C-1621S is listed in two columns. I have copied and pasted to ensure both columns have the same data. Since it's alpha numeric, I'm assuming it cannot be a text versus number formatting issue? However, on both columns, I used Text to Columns - Delimited - no delimiter - General formatting. The vlookup column did not change in appearance. The index/match column changed all formulas to text strings by adding the '. I can't remember this happening before. Does this have to do with the table format somehow?

I've seen if I add rows at the bottom, one cell automatically gets highlighted a color I used at the top of the table even though I do not want it highlighted so I have to clear the color. So maybe the index/match column has some sort of original formatting? I'm not sure how to remove previous formatting like the highlighting example?

I'm using a named range called FT_Inv for the vlookup. The sheet containing the inventory items is called "FT All Inv".

The vlookup formula is: =VLOOKUP(B10,FT_Inv,7,FALSE)
The index/match formula is: =INDEX('FT All Inv'!J:J,MATCH([@[Full_Comp_Part]],'FT All Inv'!D:D,0))

Does anyone know why the columns seem to be acting differently? Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Please ignore this question. I found the answer was a mistake I made. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfhw720

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back