What formula should I use to calculate this problem

russian

Hello, I am not at all familiar with excel, vaguely but anyways,

The problem is: if a master's degree program has a 5% fail rate, it lasts 12 months and it starts with a cohort of 100 students, how many students are left at the end, students can only pass or fail.

I am not looking for the answer, but the method to get excel to calculate this question.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
The problem is: if a master's degree program has a 5% fail rate, it lasts 12 months and it starts with a cohort of 100 students, how many students are left at the end, students can only pass or fail. I am not looking for the answer, but the method to get excel to calculate this question.

Since you say a student "can only pass or fail", I suspect you are looking for something involving a binomial distribution, i.e. BINOMDIST.

But you really don't have all the facts for that. If you said the rate of failure is 5% per month, then a BINOMDIST would make sense.

With the data given, the method is trivial: 5% of 100 fail, and 1-5% of 100 succeed. It does not matter how long the program lasts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back