Why is Excel 2016 including N/A# in Chart Axis?

danhenshy23

Hi,

I am trying to fix a chart in my Excel 2016 workbook, but can't find the solution anywhere online.

My x axis data is based on 100 pieces of information being added throughout the month, however I am only wanting the chart to show values which currently exist.

Currently only 11 of the 100 entries have data, however the x axis is still showing 12-100 despite no data existing yet.

I have read online that Excel charts ignore N/A# values, so I have amended my formula to include na() for the blank data points, however instead of ignoring this my chart is now showing N/A# across my x Axis for points 12-100.

Does Excel 2016 no longer ignore N/A# errors in charts? If so what is the new workaround?

Hope this is clear and that someone is able to help. I'm starting to go a little crazy....

Dan

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
#NA is ignored with xy-charts; #NA is not ignored with line charts or column or bar charts.

You can blank the data, which will create a large blank area in your chart. Or you can use a structured table, or use dynamic named ranges if you want a chart that can grow or shrink with the data. Search for "excel dynamic line chart" or "excel dynamic bar chart" for tutorials and examples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back