Using Small+If array structure with multiple criteria

dsbrin

Hello all,

I need help to find a way to use the Small+If structure with multiple criteria inside the If (without creating multiple If).

Currently my model works just fine if I have only one argument inside my If. For instance:
2V5pa2N.png

In here, the range E2:E6 is returning the values that match the criteria A (which are in row 23, 40 and 41).

The formula in cell E2 is (entered as an array): =IFERROR(SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$41=D$2,$B$1:$B$41,"-"),COUNTIF($A:$A,$D$2)-(ROW()-ROW($C$2))),"-")

Now, this worked just fine so far - but now I need to evolve it a little. Suppose that instead of A as an argument, I want it to return all the results that match A, B, C, D and E. I want to avoid as much as possible the use of multiple Ifs inside Ifs. I also want to avoid VBAs on this one.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Ps: I'll paste here the contents of columns A and B in case you want to give it a shot and recreate it in your Excel (sorry, I don't know how to edit the table in here and I don't have permissions to install the .exe file to edit tables)

Code Value
F 4
F 4
G 10
G 5
H 2
G 6
B 7
F 7
C 4
G 2
H 1
F 8
G 2
C 10
E 1
H 4
D 1
F 5
H 7
F 1
F 2
A 9
D 4
B 3
D 10
C 2
C 7
B 2
C 0
H 9
E 10
F 5
F 5
D 2
F 4
F 7
G 10
B 0
A 7
A 6

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
One thing I forgot to mention: the results don't have to be in any specific order. I just want to have my matches returned. the final model will use this structure to return Dates and Cashflows of specific investments to be used inside a XIRR formula, so the order doesn't really matter.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi

You can try this construction

=IFERROR(SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($A$1:$A$41,$D$2:$D$3,0)),$B$1:$B$41,"-"),SUM(COUNTIF($A:$A,$D$2:$D$3))-(ROW()-ROW($C$2))),"-")

Where D2:D3 contains your criteria (Like "A" and "B"). You have to use control+shift+enter to input.

Upvote 0
Can you use this? In D2 I would suggest that you use data validation to select for a letter. Then in E2 use the formula =index(range,small(if(range=E2,row(range)-row(beginning range cell)+1), rows($E2:E2)). Use Cntrl+Shift+Enter. Copy down.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back