Extracting a Dynamic Sorted List from the Result of a Dynamic Formula (Non-VBA)

LearnExcl

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I need your assistance.

The range below in Sheet 3 is a result of a dynamic formula which extracts a unique list from two separate columns from Sheet 1 and Sheet 2. Since it is dynamic, the formula extends below the current range reflected in the below illustration to capture any additions to the raw data housed in Sheet 1 and Sheet 2. So, although there are alphanumeric data reflected only in A2:A20 below, A21:A1000 also houses formulas with no results. What I would like to do is to extract a dynamic sorted list from A2:A1000 and place it in B2:B1000 on Sheet 3 through another dynamic formula. I have tried many different formulas which would normally work with pure data, but not with result of another dynamic unique list extracted from other sources. Any and all help will truly be appreciated.

Sheet 3
Code List
1N433
3F401
4M112
03M21
067Y4
03C0D
023K3
067A9A
090F3
290F3
33C0D
47G30
4J421
4S401
5R031
6G033

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi

This can definitely be done but we will first need to know what is contained in cells A21:A1000.

What is the default value per your dynamic formula if the row on Sheet 2 is not needed?

Are you able to share that part of the formula?

Andrew

Upvote 0
Hi

This can definitely be done but we will first need to know what is contained in cells A21:A1000.

What is the default value per your dynamic formula if the row on Sheet 2 is not needed?

Are you able to share that part of the formula?

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you very much for your interest in this excel question of mine. As I mentioned, the range A2:A1000 on Sheet 3, feeds off of two separate columns via an array formula and when there is not a value to extract from either Sheets (1 and 2), it evaluates to blank. The formula, wrapped with Iferror, involves various Index, row and other formula command combinations. If you are interested in viewing the actual formula, I can post it as well.

Again, I very much appreciate your assistance in advance.

Upvote 0
when there is not a value to extract from either Sheets (1 and 2), it evaluates to blank.
It is this part I would like to see. Is it a space? A double ""? A null value? Given this value will be part of the formula it would be good to see the actual formula to know what is contained in the bottom-most rows. The risk is that I provide a solution and it doesn't work because of what is in the the cells blanks so if you could share the formula that would be great.

Upvote 0
I am sorry for the late reply. Here is the formula: {=IF(IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000),0),0)),INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$1000,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$1000),0),0)))=0,"",IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000),0),0)),INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$1000,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$1000),0),0))))}

What would actually be a better assistance would be to figure out a way to extract a dynamically sorted unique list (A to Z) from Sheet 1 and Sheet 2 (via a non-VBA formula), instead of doing it in two steps, as I am trying to accomplish currently. Not sure if it is doable, but if it is not, then doing it in two steps would also help me out.

I truly appreciate your assistance.

Upvote 0
Hello

This cannot be done with a one step solution without VBA given the sequence is not known until the full list has been generated.

The two step solution requires a helper column as follows:

In cell B2 enter the following formula:
=COUNTIF(A$2:A$1000,"<="&A2)-IF(ISTEXT(A2),COUNTIF(A$2:A$1000,"")-COUNT(A$2:A$1000))
and copy this down to B1000. This gives you the dynamic sort sequence.

In cell C2 enter the following formula:
=IF(B2>0,INDEX(A$2:A$1000,MATCH(ROW(A1),B$2:B$1000,0)),"")
and copy down to C1000. This gives you the dynamically sorted list.

I trust this helps.
Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back