Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2011
  3. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have some data within the range F78:U797 (16 columns and 720 rows) in multiple workbooks kept in one folder (C:\Desktop).

I need a VBA help to import those data from all those wordbooks in that folder automatically in a separate MASTER worksheet for further processing. One column has "date"inputs; so I would like to have the list in chronological order too.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Is this any better? Give it a chance to run.
Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    Dim lastRow As Long
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Dim wkbSource As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
    Const strPath As String = "D:\Aircrew_Flying_Hour\"
    Sheets("DATA").UsedRange.ClearContents
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir(strPath & "*.xlsx")
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Do While strExtension <> ""
        Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension, UpdateLinks:=False)
        If wkbSource.Name <> ThisWorkbook.Name Then
            With wkbSource
                '.Sheets("Summary of the Year").Unprotect Password:="2501"
                .Sheets("Summary of the Year").Range("F76:U76").Copy wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").Cells(1, 2)
                .Sheets("Summary of the Year").Range("G77:U796").Copy
                With wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                    .PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
                    .PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats
                End With
                .Close savechanges:=False
            End With
            strExtension = Dir
        End If
    Loop
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    lastRow = wkbDest.Worksheets("DATA").Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
    wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").Range("B1:Q" & lastRow).AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="="
    wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").Range("B2:Q" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
    If wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode Then wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode = False
    With wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").Range("B2")
        .Value = "1"
        .AutoFill Destination:=Range("B2").Resize(Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row), Type:=xlFillSeries
    End With
    wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").Range("B2").Resize(Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Borders.LineStyle = xlContinuous
    lastRow = wkbDest.Worksheets("DATA").Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
    wkbDest.Worksheets("DATA").Sort.SortFields.Clear
    wkbDest.Worksheets("DATA").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("C2:C" & lastRow) _
        , SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    With wkbDest.Worksheets("DATA").Sort
        .SetRange Range("C1:C" & lastRow)
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
    wkbDest.Sheets("DATA").Columns.AutoFit
    With Sheets("CAREER FLG")
        .Range("C4").FormulaArray = "=IF(SUMIF(DATA!$D$2:$D$4001,$B4,DATA!E$2:E$4001)=0,"""",SUMIF(DATA!$D$2:$D$4001,$B4,DATA!E$2:E$4001))"
        .Range("C4").AutoFill Destination:=Sheets("CAREER FLG").Range("C4:O4"), Type:=xlFillDefault
        .Range("C4:O4").AutoFill Destination:=Sheets("CAREER FLG").Range("C4:O23"), Type:=xlFillDefault
        .Range("B4").FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(DATA!$D$2:$D$4001,SMALL(IF((COUNTIF(B$3:B3,DATA!$D$2:$D$4001)=0)*(DATA!$D$2:$D$4001<>0),ROW(DATA!$D$2:$D$4001),""""),1)-ROW(DATA!$D$2)+1),"""")"
        .Range("B4").AutoFill Destination:=.Range("B4:B23"), Type:=xlFillDefault
    End With
    With Sheets("CALCULATOR")
        .Range("C90").FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(DATA!C$2:C$4001,SMALL(IF(DATA!$C$2:$C$4001>=$R$9,IF(DATA!$C$2:$C$4001<=$R$11,ROW(DATA!$C$2:$C$4001)-ROW(DATA!$C$2)+1)),ROWS($R$9:$R$9))),"""")"
        .Range("C90").AutoFill Destination:=.Range("C90:Q90"), Type:=xlFillDefault
        .Range("C90:Q90").AutoFill Destination:=.Range("C90:Q4089"), Type:=xlFillDefault
    End With
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Sorry sir! :(

I gave it about 8-10 minutes to run but it seems to be stuck.

Upvote 0
Place this macro in a regular module in your destination workbook. It assumes this workbook contains a sheet named "MASTER". Save the workbook as a macro-enabled file.
Code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Dim lastRow As Long
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Dim wkbSource As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
    Const strPath As String = "C:\Desktop\Yearly Data\"
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir(strPath & "*.xlsx")
    Do While strExtension <> ""
        Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension)
        With wkbSource
            .Sheets("Summary of the Year").Range("F78:U797").Copy wkbDest.Sheets("MASTER").Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Close savechanges:=False
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    lastRow = wkbDest.Worksheets("MASTER").Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row
    wkbDest.Worksheets("MASTER").Sort.SortFields.Clear
    wkbDest.Worksheets("MASTER").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("C27:C" & lastRow) _
        , SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    With wkbDest.Worksheets("MASTER").Sort
        .SetRange Range("B26:Q" & lastRow)
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
End Sub

Hi, I think this is also what I'm looking for. Can I use this code but could you please modify it with no range but I want to copy all the data

Upvote 0
@Icaindoy: Welcome to the Forum. It is against Forum rules to post your question in another member's thread. Please start your own new thread and include a detailed explanation of what you want to do. You can include a link to this thread if you feel it would be helpful. Please have a look at the Forum rules at this link: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/99490-forum-rules.html :)
@masud8956: What is causing all the problems is the fact that we have to either delete the "DATA" sheet and then re-create it or clear its contents. When we do either of these if causes the #REF errors in your formulas because the references in the formulas are deleted either way. This means that the formulas have to be re-inserted in the appropriate ranges by the macro. The only other alternative I know of is to eliminate the formulas entirely and have the macro perform the equivalent tasks. I will have a look at that possibility when I get some time but I can't promise a solution. Formulas are not my strong point.

Upvote 0
@mumps,

Now I am writing the 65th post of this thread! Tells only one thing: you are an extremely patient person. I really can't thank you enough for being such a nice guy and all your sincere efforts!!

I have been trying to get this done 4 months now. Out of desperation I kept trying in other forums. As I was new I did not know about the regulation of cross post. But then some moderator educated me. In ExcelForum I tried through following link:
Code:
https://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1223666-need-vba-for-importing-data-from-multiple-wordbooks-to-one-sheet-of-a-new-wordbook.html#post4915556

Yesterday I accidentally tried a code which I couldn't make work 3/4 months back. I don't know how but it worked! I just recorded 3/4 line macro and added it for "clear contents" as a prefix to that code. Only problem remains with that code is that blank rows are not eliminated like your code did. I left questions but no one seems to be interested to reply.

Its quite a small code. If you kindly look at the code and modify just enough only to eliminate blank rows I think that will be more than enough for me.
Code:
Sub Test()'
' Macro1 Macro
'

'
    Cells.Select
    Selection.ClearContents
    Range("I7").Select

Dim myDir As String, fn As String, n As Long, t As Long, Cell As String
    Const wsName As String = "Summary of the Year"
    Const myRng As String = "G77:U796"
    myDir = "D:\Aircrew_Flying_Hour"
    fn = Dir(myDir & "\*.xlsx")
    If fn = "" Then MsgBox "No files in the folder": Exit Sub
    With Range(myRng)
        n = .Rows.Count: t = .Columns.Count
        Cell = .Cells(1).Address(0, 0)
    End With
    Do While fn <> ""
        With Sheets("Data").Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(1).Resize(n, t)

.Formula = "=if('" & myDir & "\[" & fn & "]" & wsName & "'!" & Cell & "<>""""," & _
                       "'" & myDir & "\[" & fn & "]" & wsName & "'!" & Cell & ","""")"
            .Value = .Value
        End With
        fn = Dir
    Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
Try putting this part of my code after the loop in the macro you posted:
Code:
Dim lastRow as long
lastRow = sheets("DATA").Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
Sheets("DATA").Range("B1:Q" & lastRow).AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="="
Sheets("DATA").Range("B2:Q" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
If Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode Then Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode = False

To help speed up the macro, I would also put all of the code between these lines of code:

Code:
'your code here

Upvote 0
My bad I did not mention that with this new code I have used range G77:U796 instead of F77:U796. I got rid of the "Ser no" column and headers. Paste destination applied from A1. Thereby I still get the row numbers simply from the leftmost excel ribbon. Link of the end result at the end.

I tried your modification but does not work. May be the range in my code #65 and your suggestion are conflicting.
Range in my code
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Do While fn <> ""
[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]        With Sheets("Data").Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(1).Resize(n, t)[/COLOR]
and in your one #66
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Sheets("DATA").Range("B1:Q" & lastRow).AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="="
[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]Sheets("DATA").Range("B2:Q" & lastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete[/COLOR]

Do you see any problem here? If there is a problem I 'm sure I cannot fix it by myself.

The latest master file below with my code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ov270pnxg6h41z1/MASTER_CALCULATOR.xlsm?dl=0

Upvote 0
Try:
Code:
Sub Test()
    Sheets("DATA").Cells.ClearContents
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim firstRow As Long
    Dim myDir As String, fn As String, n As Long, t As Long, Cell As String
    Const wsName As String = "Summary of the Year"
    Const myRng As String = "G77:U796"
    myDir = "D:\Aircrew_Flying_Hour"
    fn = Dir(myDir & "\*.xlsx")
    If fn = "" Then MsgBox "No files in the folder": Exit Sub
    With Range(myRng)
        n = .Rows.Count: t = .Columns.Count
        Cell = .Cells(1).Address(0, 0)
    End With
    Do While fn <> ""
        With Sheets("Data").Range("a" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(1).Resize(n, t)

.Formula = "=if('" & myDir & "\[" & fn & "]" & wsName & "'!" & Cell & "<>""""," & _
                       "'" & myDir & "\[" & fn & "]" & wsName & "'!" & Cell & ","""")"
            .Value = .Value
        End With
        fn = Dir
    Loop
    firstRow = Sheets("DATA").Range("A1:A" & Sheets("DATA").Rows.Count).Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Row
    LastRow = Sheets("DATA").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstRow & ":A" & LastRow).AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="="
    Sheets("DATA").Range("A" & firstRow & ":A" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
    If Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode Then Sheets("DATA").AutoFilterMode = False
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot! It takes quite long though....but works fine. I guess it because of the large arrays being imported.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back