SumProduction function - multiple worksheets

cyruslwc828

Hi all,

I now have two worksheets, one containing usage of materials of a product. (Part no. in column A and usage in column B)

The other worksheet I have contains purchase price of materials (Part no in column A and price in column B)

I tried to use the sumproduction function to calculate the total cost of a product by multiplying usage of parts and part price and adding up all parts used.

However, i found that when it comes to parts with asterid (e.g. Part A and Part A*), the formula is always matching Part A* as if it is Part A.

Can anyone help to address how should i write the formula to distinguish the two?

Thanks,
Cyrus

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
It seems to me that you have repetitive occurrence of the "Part no.s" in column A of either sheet! Is that so?

Does it have to be a formula solution that you seek or could you use a code?

Upvote 0
"It seems to me that you have repetitive occurrence of the "Part no.s" in column A of either sheet! Is that so?"

Column A (part no.) for both sheets are identical and each part will only appear once in column A.

"Does it have to be a formula solution that you seek or could you use a code?"

I would prefer to use formula because I can still comprehend but for code, i have absolute zero knowledge.

Thanks =]

Upvote 0
However, i found that when it comes to parts with asterid (e.g. Part A and Part A*), the formula is always matching Part A* as if it is Part A.

Hi, welcome to the board!

You would need to show us your formula but SUMPRODUCT() does not generally work with wildcard characters so should treat them separately. Perhaps you meant SUMIFS() - either way, here is an option you can try.

Excel 2013/2016
ABC
1PartPriceTotal Cost
2Part A10.99131.88
3Part A*20.99209.9
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2=SUMIFS(Sheet1!B:B,Sheet1!A:A,SUBSTITUTE(A2,"*","~*"))*B2

Excel 2013/2016
AB
1PartUsage
2Part A8
3Part A*4
4Part A4
5Part A*6
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back