INDEX/MATCH with dynamic sheet name

gb1993

Hello,

I am trying to set up a formula that will execute an INDEX/MATCH in one of a variety of sheets, depending on cell being matched. I believe the INDIRECT function is part of the solution but I haven't had any luck with it. I am happy to use a number of distinct steps as working formulae.

As background info:

• The sheet names in question are called "Exhibit-A", "Exhibit-B", "Exhibit-C" etc.
  • The column headings (A, B, C etc) are in columns D6:N6

The whole process essentially needs to (using row 10 as an example)

1. Return the column heading of the maximum value in a row into a new column (Column O) (I have successfully used here [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]=INDEX($D$6:$N$6, MATCH(MAX(D10:N10), D10:N10, 0)[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Concatenate this to create the name of the sheet (I have successfully used here =CONCATENATE("Exhibit-",O10)[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Perform an INDEX/MATCH in that sheet along the following lines[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]​[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]INDEX('sheet_name'!$F$5:$F$800, MATCH('a value in Column P', 'sheet_name'!$E$5:$E$800, 0)[/FONT][/FONT]<strike></strike>
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
Thanks - please let me know if you require any more info.
<strike></strike><strike></strike>

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi. A little long but try this:

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'Exhibit-"&INDEX($D$6:$N$6,MATCH(MAX(D10:N10),D10:N10,0))&"'!F5:F800"),MATCH(P1,INDIRECT("'Exhibit-"&INDEX($D$6:$N$6,MATCH(MAX(D10:N10),D10:N10,0))&"'!E5:E800"),0))

You could split the index match to find the letter into another cell if you like and just refer to that cell.

This in F1:

=INDEX($D$6:$N$6,MATCH(MAX(D10:N10),D10:N10,0))

then use:

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'Exhibit-"&$F$1&"'!F5:F800"),MATCH(P1,INDIRECT("'Exhibit-"&$F$1&"'!E5:E800"),0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back