Form CheckBox Question

hatstand

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have a simple problem that I can't solve. I have a Checkbox on a form and want a Query to pick up if it is selected. So I have used the line:

tester: IIf([Forms]![Months]![JanChk]=-1,"Y","N")

When the Query is run it asks for a Parameter Value. If I click OK I get 'N'. It seems so simple but I'm obviously doing something wrong/

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Query calculated fields can only reference Table fields. They cannot reference unbound fields found on a Form.
One option is to create a field on your Table, and make your Form field bound to this table field.
Then it should be available for Query calculated fields.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I understand. I will need to create Checkbox for each month then when the Query is run it will only run for the checked months. So I will need to create a field in the months table to hold the Checkbox values. Then Query will pick up the values from there. At least that's the theory.

Upvote 0
Not sure but I don't think that unbound fields can't be referenced. I have done so before. You should also check for the usual suspects: make sure your form is open, make sure that the spelling is correct in the query. Not that I don't like having a table - it can help you if you want to run the query without using the form too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure but I don't think that unbound fields can't be referenced. I have done so before. You should also check for the usual suspects: make sure your form is open, make sure that the spelling is correct in the query. Not that I don't like having a table - it can help you if you want to run the query without using the form too.
I could be wrong, maybe it is possible. But I have never seen it done.
I have seen it used it Criteria (the WHERE clause), but never in calculated fields (the SELECT clause).

I probably should have asked what kind of Form are they working with.
Is it an unbound form (so just a single record)?
Or a bound form with this unbound field (amongst other bound fields)?

I don't think the later would make much sense, as an open Form would really only affect that one record, and not all the records in the Table.

Upvote 0
I tested because I'm the curious sort. You can use a reference to an unbound control (at least a text box) on a form in a calculated query field. Can't post pics here, otherwise I would. This
SELECT [Forms]![Form1].[Text12] AS tester;
produced "one" which is the unbound control's value.

This
SELECT IIf([Forms]![Form1].[check34]=-1,"True","False") AS test;
produced True or False, depending on the selection status of a checkbox on the form.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This
produced True or False, depending on the selection status of a checkbox on the form.
Interesting...
But wouldn't it return TRUE/FALSE for ALL of the records being returned by the form then?
If so, I am not sure exactly what the point of doing that would be.

Upvote 0
Yes it would. IMHO, it would have to be a 1 record source of some type, in which case one could just as easily do a DLookup. I suspect that once the parameter prompt is fixed (it must be a typo kind of problem) the OP would realize the expression as a calculated query field isn't much good if there are multiple records.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back