"Advanced" filters/formulas

Kumle90

Hi,

I currently have a table consisting of several names, each name assigned to one company. One name can be assigned to more than one company, giving me a column where the same name appears several times, ex.: Jane Doe (4 rows) and John Doe (3 rows). What is the best way to project how many names there are in the name column, and not just how many cells (rows) that consists of names?

I've tried some different filters and formulas, but have yet to succeed.

Suggestions are welcome :)

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
jon, ibm
jon, intel
damon, ibm
ivan, Motorola
ivan, intel
karel, shell

Given the above data, what would be the output?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I currently have a table consisting of several names, each name assigned to one company. One name can be assigned to more than one company, giving me a column where the same name appears several times, ex.: Jane Doe (4 rows) and John Doe (3 rows). What is the best way to project how many names there are in the name column, and not just how many cells (rows) that consists of names?

I've tried some different filters and formulas, but have yet to succeed.

Suggestions are welcome :)

What does "each name assigned to one company" and "can be assigned to more than one company" mean? Certain companies have persons of the same name or your office has persons of a certain name assigned to the accounts of one or more companies?

And this: "What is the best way to project how many names there are in the name column...."? What exactly are you asking?

Upvote 0
I'm sorry if the issue got lost in translation.

What I have is spread sheet with several rows, each with several different names (among other info), lets say in column A. Each name may or may not appear in column A several times.

What I want is a way of filtering this sheet so that I can see how many unique names there are in column A; If Jane Doe appears 7 times, and John Doe six times, this equals thirteen rows, but only two names.

So far my best solution is to filter column A by name (A-Z), and highlight one of the many names that appears more than once, and then filter by color. I ask as I have about 10,000 rows and anything between 1,500 and 7,000 names.

Hopefully this is easier to comprehend :)

:

Upvote 0
Just to mention; exactly what each cell in the spread sheet contains is irrelevant, I only seek to filter so that I can find out how many names there are in column A, in the example above.

Turns out a pivot table resolves my issue.

Thank you :)

Upvote 0
Just to mention; exactly what each cell in the spread sheet contains is irrelevant, I only seek to filter so that I can find out how many names there are in column A, in the example above.

Turns out a pivot table resolves my issue.

Thank you :)

Try to answer the question of post #2 with a pivot table, so we know what you are after...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrcsbenson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back