Aligning periods while keeping them as a percent

kfface

I have fought with this for an hour or two and would greatly appreciate any help. I have a document that I need the periods to be aligned, the need to be in percent format with two decimal places. Some of the numbers have negatives and others have not. All help I've found doesn't keep the numbers in percents or replace the negative number with being in parenthesis.
In my document I have the following:
-12.36%
-1.05%
0.55%
5.02%
15.32%
I need to keep the numbers in this format while having the decimals aligned.
Thank you ahead of time.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Try this in custom format, it will give a leading 0 so not sure if that is acceptable!

00.00% ;(00.00%)

Code:
[TABLE="width: 65"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: xl64, width: 65"](12.36%)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64"](01.05%)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64"]00.55%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64"]05.02%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64"]15.32%[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Upvote 0
Aligned when you are using the center format.
That seems a little bit contradictory to me... how can the cells be center aligned and at the same time lined up with other text in other cells that are different lengths? I think your best bet is to simply use "Right (Indent)" alignment as select an indent level that makes the group of cells looks like the group is centered in the cell. Alternately, if the indent setting it too coarse, put some number of space characters after the % sign in a Custom Format that, again, makes the group of cells seem centered.

Upvote 0
That seems a little bit contradictory to me... how can the cells be center aligned and at the same time lined up with other text in other cells that are different lengths? I think your best bet is to simply use "Right (Indent)" alignment as select an indent level that makes the group of cells looks like the group is centered in the cell. Alternately, if the indent setting it too coarse, put some number of space characters after the % sign in a Custom Format that, again, makes the group of cells seem centered.
Yes I ended up doing something along these lines. And I agree with you it does seem a bit contradictory but in some cases it certainly could look neater with the decimals aligned down the center of the row. We are a bit picky over here. I found a solution that took a lot of extra time, so if anyone can think of a format solution I certainly could use it down the road.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajaykosuri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back