Average IF Arrays with multiple criteria in two columns: Please help me crack it!

excellearner18

Hi,

I have got so much help from this forum in the past, so I am hoping that you can help me with my specific query, before it drives me mad:

I am working with a survey and want to be able to work out average answers by groups of job titles (front of house, back of house etc),-I have been using the below: EG; Rate how much you enjoy your job is going on a scale of 1-5:

So for grouping I did: =AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH('Raw Data'!C4:C80, {"FOH1","FOH2","FOH3","Bar","Clean","Wait","sweep","glassc"},0)), 'Raw Data'!E4:E80))

With C4:C80, being the column at the beginning of the survey where they listed their job titles, and E4:E80 being where they answered 1-5 for the question.
HOWEVER, I realised that if someone answers one of the job titles listed, but declines to answer this question, then the average is skewed, as this sum still divides the total from column E, by whatever the number of {"FOH1","FOH2","FOH3","Bar","Clean","Wait","sweep","glassc"}s is.

So I want to amend it to say that they meet the above job title criteria in C4:C80, AND they put numbers 1-5 (or the answer is not blank) in E4:E80, then find the average answer. Is this possible? I have tried all the ways I can think of, and cannot seem to crack it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I should have done pivot tables, however, this is a large survey and I have come this far with arrays, I would need to redo the whole thing, and the logical part of my mind knows there must be a simple solution! Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hi

Test if the value in E4:E80 is a number value, like;

=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH('Raw Data'!C4:C80,{"FOH1","FOH2","FOH3","Bar","Clean","Wait","sweep","glassc"},0)),IF(ISNUMBER('Raw Data'!E4:E80),'Raw Data'!E4:E80)))

... confirmed with CSE

Upvote 0
Thank you that has done the trick! I am so grateful that you took the time to share the simple solution, which was beyond me after days of staring at the sheet!!

THANKS AGAIN!:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy_M

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back