can this be done?

Hoffman

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi

I have a cell that reads the student's average from another cell. I use =$B$70 and the average from the B70 cell appears here.

Is there a way to have TEXT and this dynamic average appear in the same cell so the student name and THEIR average (which changes depending on how B70 changes) would appear in the same cell? ex John Smith 95 all in one cell.

Thanks

Barry

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Thanks for the reply.
Did not work, probably me

situation

A1 has John Smith name in it
B1 has the average of 20 other cells and produces an average for john

right now I have in another cell =$B$1 next to their name so when their average changes this number changes and I use it to sort all kids.

I was wondering if I could get a cell that would say John Smith 93 where 93 is pulled from cell B1 but as b1 (his average) changes so will this number 93 next to his name.

not sure if this explanation is any better

thanks

Barry

Upvote 0
=a1&" "&text(b1,"0%")

YES!! It worked

I had to take out the % since it was already applied to the number on the average.

I am trying to make a student seating chart where next to their name is their avg so when they are in tables I could keep the tables balanced with math performance levels.

A novel idea but do not think I can make the chart in excel as it would be a pain. I am using another program where I can just drag the names and data around fast. The problem is as their avg changes (in excel) this will not reflect in other program. I do not think word would work wither for this dynamic capability.

hmmmm

Thank you. You are awesome

Barry

Upvote 0
=a1&" "&text(b1,"0%")

Can I ask you one more thing? is there a way to get that exact thing to work but on a DIFFERENT tab (same excel doc) as where the data is pulling from?

In other words can I have that code you sent be on one tab but the student's averages on a different tab?

I tried and it gave me a #ref error of course.

Thanks!

Barry

Upvote 0
Can I ask you one more thing? is there a way to get that exact thing to work but on a DIFFERENT tab (same excel doc) as where the data is pulling from?

In other words can I have that code you sent be on one tab but the student's averages on a different tab?

I tried and it gave me a #ref error of course.

Thanks!

Barry
=Sheet1!a1&" "&text(Sheet1!b1,"0%")
Rename Sheet1 to the name of ur sheet. This makes it so u can use it in other sheets. So if ur sheet name is donaldduck then it will be: =donaldduck!a1&" "&text(donaldduck!b1,"0%")
Hope this helps

Upvote 0
i better ask now before I forget in 2 months.

What if I set this up exactly with 108 students on sheet 10 all looking at Sheet 1, but then in 2 months I need all those same 108 student cells to look at sheet 2 (new quarter in school), is there any easier way besides going thru 108 cells and changing the reference sheet?

thanks again

Barry

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back