Cell references in formula will not increment when filled or dragged down a column?

Event2020

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I have the below formula that I need the cell references to increment when I drag down a column.

Code:
=IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$2),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$2& "")

what i need it do do when copied downward is

Code:
=IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$2),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$2& "")
=IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$3),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$3& "")
=IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$4),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$4& "")
=IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$5),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$4& "")
and so on

I have tried selecting the starting cell in which the formula is entered (A1) then holding the left mouse button down I drag downward to select a range of cells (A1 - A100) then press Ctrl D - this just copied the formula as it is across all of the cells without incrementing the cell reference.

I also tried selecting the starting cell in which the formula is entered (A1) and then grabbing the handle in the bottom right hand corner with a left mouse click (held down) and dragging down but that did not work.

I also tried grabbing the handle with the left mouse button and holding down the Ctrl key and dragging - did not work.

I also tried right mouse down on the handle and right mouse down plus pressing the Ctrl key but 'fill series' is greyed out.

I do not know of anything else I can try.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Remove the second $ so that it reads $H2

Upvote 0
Event2020, Good evening.

The cell reference is LOCKED in the function.

Before: =IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$2),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$2& "")

Try to use:

NOW --> =IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!H2),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!H2& "")

Is that what you want?

I hop it helps.

Upvote 0
Event2020, Good evening.

The cell reference is LOCKED in the function.

Before: =IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$2),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!$H$2& "")

Try to use:

NOW --> =IF(ISBLANK([CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!H2),"",""&[CATraxx_Album.xlsx]Track!H2& "")

Is that what you want?

I hop it helps.

Hi and many thanks for your reply.

I appreciate it :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back